tyre pressures

Guest bill h

Guest Derek Uzzell
65psi = 4.48bar GOOGLE searching on "psi to bar" will pull up plenty of conversion table references and I used www.britishmetrics.com/html/pis-bar.htm Searching obn "conversion tables" would do the same thing.

Hi Bill, like Derek says, there are plenty of conversion tables available. I typed in "bar pressure" and all the conversions are there to see. For instance, to convert "bar" to lb/sq ins , one multiplies by 14.508. Hope this helps.John S

Whoops!! I should have thought more before I put my oar in - the conversion was certainly 14.7 when I went to tech coll over 50 yrs ago. Blame the American website I copied it from (without engaging the grey matter) - it does include the let out clause "The following information may have errors. It is not permissible to be used by anyone who has ever met a lawyer"!! Sorry to mislead. John S

Guest Derek Uzzell
Sorry guys, the fact that bar and atmosphere are NOT identical units has come up in the past on the forum and John S was correct with his original statement. 1 bar = 14.5037626psi, whereas 1 atmosphere = 14.6959409psi (See www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/pressureunits.html for confirmation)

The International Standard Atmosphere is 29.92 inches of mercury, or 1013.2mb, which is obviously 1.0132 bars. Anyone who has ever looked at a synoptic chart (or watched the weather forecast on TV) will know this fluctuates as Highs and Lows move through. Hope everybody is now thoroughly confused!

Archived