tyres

David

Please help i'am getting very confused by all the information on tyres all I need to know what would be the best tyres to replace the Goodyear cargo G24 195/70R 15C 103/101Q on my Elddis Autostratus EK. Thanks David

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello David, Any of the major manufacturers tyres are OK it all comes down to personal preference and price. have a look at the:- Goodyear Cargo G26. Dunlop SPLT30-8. Michelin Agilis 81 Q rated. Continental Vanco. Pirelli Citynet. If you are pleased with the performance of the Goodyear G24 go for the Cargo G26. I have used these and found them excellent. Try the internet to see who is offering the best price. Regards, Mike

Guest Derek Uzzell
It's really a non-starter to try to advise on "best" motorhome tyres, but let's try to reduce your confusion. Your replacement tyres should match the characteristics of your present Goodyear Cargo G24s. In terms of size and construction they should have a 195mm width, 70% profile, Radial construction and be 15" diameter. They should be "C"-marked (to indicate suitability for use on van-type vehicles.) The new tyres' load and speed ratings should be equal to (or higher) than the G24s' 103/101Q that equates to a 'single-wheel' axle maximum load of 1750kg at a speed of roughly 99mph. (It might be a good idea to check your motorhome's VIN-plate figures just to confirm your vehicle's maximum permitted axle-loads.) There are plenty of different tyres currently available that will meet the above criteria. Michelin's Agilis 81 pattern comes in the correct size/construction etc. with a load/speed rating of 104/102R (1800kg axle-load at 106mph). That's just one example and Mike has offered others. As he says, if you have been happy with the Goodyears, there is no overwhelming argument to change to another brand. The price of van-tyres varies radically - you can buy budget tyres, medium price tyres or top-price tyres. Personally I'd opt for a well-known brand and shop around for the best deal. I'd also suggest you buy reasonably locally if that's practical, just in case there are subsequent problems. (Incidentally, Michelin's XC Camping tyre does NOT seem to be marketed in 195/70 R15C size, just in case you are wondering.)

Archived