visiting Monet's Garden at Giverny

Guest Keith T

Guest Keith T
We hope to visit Monet's garden in May. Does anyone know if it is possible to park the motorhome during the daytime nearby - perhaps up to 1 mile away as we quite like walking, Are there are any campsites in the area with easy acess to public transport to Giverny. Also any recommendations for a campsite in Paris covneient to transport into the city?

We went to Giverny in 2003 with a 7.5m motorhome and parked right next to the cafes and entrance free. As you enter Giverny from the north west at the roundabout there is a large car park on the right which we were not allowed into but if you carry on straight down the road about a 100 yards or so(I cant remember exactly) take a left turn signed to car park which is one way and looks quite narrow but is OK. At the top as you turn left past the "normal entrance" there is a terraced car park on the right and when we were their the top level was used by motorhomes, several longer than ours. It does look a bit tight but as long as you take your time it is OK. The car park is next to two cafes and a souvenir shop and dont forget to walk right up the main street to the church where Monet and his family are buried. If you go past the above turning their is another one suitable for motorhomes further down the street. We overnighted at Mantes Camping Loisirs des Groux but although well out in the country and quiet it was then in new ownership and a bit tatty - OK for a one night stop 11.60 euros including electricity. Enjoy the gardens and the atmosphere, very impressive and quite magical.

Guest Brian Ramsden
I used the same car park when I visited Giverny. It is quite easy to find - especially with Chris's excellent instructions. The Camping Bois de Boulogne is a good site for visiting Paris. Ther is abus from outside the camp gate, which takes you to La Defense railway station and then the train to the City centre. Details on www.abccamping.com/campingparis.htm, or e-mail camping-boulogne@stereau.fr. I can't comment on their other site, Camping du Tremblay. The bois de Boulogne site is not too difficult to get to by campervan, but I would advise getting a good map - Michelin Banlieu de Paris Nord-Oest number 18. Unfortunately it is just off their Paris (no 10) map.

Archived