voltage stabiliser

Guest ron

Guest ron
im now needing a voltage stabiliser so as to run my lcd tv when not on electricity[using 12 volt] maplins dont seem to do one & i remember somewhere beeing mentioned in mmm some time since,anybody out there know anything?

Guest Tom
Don,t try and run your LCD of 12 volts, use its mains supply power components and purchase a low cost inverter from Maplin. The inverter is less cost than a 12 volt stabiliser and can be used for other things as well.

Guest Derek Uzzell
www.amperor.co.uk markets 12V stabilisers, but Tom's suggestion may be preferable.

Guest Dave
I would suggest you follow the voltage stabilizer route as it's more efficient. To use an inverter means you would be taking 12v DC converting it to 240v AC then re-converting it to 12vDC in the TV's power supply unit, not an elegant means of providing a stable, regulated 12v DC from a battery. Besides which the low cost inverter will be a modified sine wave unit which will cause the TV's psu to run hot and possibly cause premature failure. Inverters are ok for occasional use but inductive loads (such as PSUs don't like the modified sine wave. Dave.

Re voltage stabiliser,thankyou all for you thoughts and advice etc. very helpfull,i think i will go for a voltage stabiliser i know its more expensive but i dont want to risk damage to the tv. cheers Ron.

The safest route is the inverter. When using an inverter your existing mains adaptor for the TV is used and this provides isolation, transient filtering and accepts a very wide range of input voltages. A 12 volt "stabiliser" may not be as good at this in these respects. Dave is correct in theory in the aspects he mentions but modern inverters are very efficient compared to those of yesteryear. I use the same inverter for the TV, Laptop, Electric drill etc etc.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE IVE JUST HEARD OF SOMEONE USING A VOLTAGE STABILISER ON A LCD TV AND IT BLEW THE FUSE THEY WERE APPARENTLY TOLD BY THE DEALER TO USE AN INVERTER IN FUTURE.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE IVE JUST HEARD OF SOMEONE USING A VOLTAGE STABILISER ON A LCD TV AND IT BLEW THE FUSE THEY WERE APPARENTLY TOLD BY THE DEALER TO USE AN INVERTER IN FUTURE.

Archived