warm fridge

charleydog

I have read on here that fitting a fan near the top vent aids the cooling of the fridge. Has anyone done this ....if so, what fan should I buy, and how to fit. This would be for my a/s warwick xl,where the fridge is woefully slow in cooling, it is working o.k, as the heat is being extracted via the top vent. pleased if one of you clever people (there seems to be many) could give me some pointers.

You can get kits. I used 2 x 120mm 12v axial computer type fans and wired them in series so they run quieter. Look up 120mm Xfan or Arctic fan on ebay. Some people put them on a manual switch or buy a thermostat or electronic controller.

Fit them in the top vent pulling the hot air out.

Oh also, don't fit them on the louvres so you can take the louvres off for extra ventilation and leave the fans behind and working.

CBE markets a couple of ‘double fan’ fridge cooling kits

https://www.cbe.it/en/refrigerator-fans/

There is an installation article here

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/how-to-fit-a-cbe-fridge-fan-kit

and plenty more comments here

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cbe+fridge+fan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If generic computer fans are used, it would be wise to position them so they won’t get wet in heavy rain or when the motorhome is being washed.

Whatever equipment is chosen, how and where it is best fitted will depend on the make/model of fridge and how the motorhome converter has installed the fridge.

charleydog - 2020-08-02 8:13 PM

I have read on here that fitting a fan near the top vent aids the cooling of the fridge. Has anyone done this ....if so, what fan should I buy, and how to fit. This would be for my a/s warwick xl,where the fridge is woefully slow in cooling, it is working o.k, as the heat is being extracted via the top vent. pleased if one of you clever people (there seems to be many) could give me some pointers.

Just a (belated) thought, but have you checked three things?

First, that the insect meshes behind both your fridge's air vents are clear of obstructions - even cobwebs can affect airflow. :-)

Second, that the space to the rear of the fridge, between the top and bottom vents, is unobstructed and also conforms with its manufacturer's installation recommendations? Most recommend that the rear of the fridge is sealed around its perimeter and that an angled baffle is installed above the top vent to aid airflow to, and through, that vent. Many van manufacturers omit this baffle to the detriment of airflow.

Third, that the rear of the fridge - especially the fins on the condenser coils - is clear of accretions. The fins are particularly prone to clogging with cobwebs and dust.

Personally, I would not fit fans until quite certain that the fridge installation, and condition, are optimal for performance. The beauty of the natural stack effect is that it only needs a working fridge to function, and it then functions without further intervention. Also, it is simple! :-)

You haven't given the age of your van, but if you've still got the Chausson 630 the fridge is a quite tall model. So, if the vents and the rear of the fridge are clean, and the top baffle is present, the natural stack should be working well unassisted. If all is good, might it be the fridge performance - possibly as a consequence of age - that is failing? It would be annoying to install fans only to discover that the fridge itself is the culprit!

Thanks Brian, With some regret, we downsized to a autosleeper warwick xl,with a small fridge.Better screwed together than the chausson but lacking the large super efficient fridge, and storage. Fitting a fan kit will go a long way to solve one of the downsides to this move. (although did catch the other half looking at Brownhills. Lowdhams sites ) Being new, its as clean as a whistle behind the vents.Thanks all for your helpful replies.Also there is no fly mesh in the vents ?

Archived