warranty work legality.

fesspark

I'm not aware of any legal time other than 'reasonable' but I'm not a lawyer. If you want legal advice, best speak to a lawyer - you might be able to access free advice, eg through a motoring club, - or the Citizens Advice. Without knowing the ins and outs, I suggest you also review where you stand by looking at the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Have a look at Supply of a Service in

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#supply-of-a-service

I assume you have informed your insurer if required to do so by your insurance. It may have a view on what is reasonable. Mine refused to cover more than 48 hours. After that I was reliant on the Dealer's insurance. I recovered the vehicle, agreed the timescale for putting things right ie the parts arrived and could be fitted, and persuaded the dealer to come and collect the van. They had 48 hours to do the work - they did and we all ended up as friends!

My policy had a specific exclusion clause if my motorhome is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to them in my statement of fact.

fesspark - 2019-04-04 11:07 AM

Hello again, What is the norm or legal time a company can keep you m,home for warranty work without some sort of compensation? There is more detail if need be. Fesspark

I don't think you are subject to the terms of the warranty when it comes to repair as it is the seller who is generally liable for the repair.

If there is a defect in the goods, it is the seller who is liable at law. The manufacturer's warranty is merely a promise to you that he will undertake to have what goes wrong repaired, but only in accordance with the terms of his warranty. He is not generally required to be reasonable, and my understanding is that as you have no contractual relationship with the manufacturer, he is entitled to perform pretty much as he considers suitable. His warranty is in addition to, and does not alter, your rights against the seller under Consumer Legislation.

It will be the seller who is liable to pay you any compensation to which you may be entitled if he has not carried out the repair in a satisfactory manner, or in a reasonable time.

I suggest you contact your local Trading Standards or Citizens' Advice to see where you stand legally regarding the time being taken to repair. You'll need to give them all relevant details. If the seller is unable to extract any parts needed for the repair from the manufacturer, and that is the cause of the delay then, if the seller has done all he reasonably can to minimise any resulting delay, you may have to accept that. But do talk to TS or CA to get their general advice, and again to the seller to see what he has actually been doing to expedite the necessary parts (assuming the repair does require new parts to fix).

If the repair is merely a matter of labour and not parts, then I suspect the dealer is wholly liable as he should be in control of his labour and the time allocated for the repair. Again, as above, talk to TS or CA, or if you prefer, see if any of your insurances provide a legal costs/advice cover.

Archived