what a mistaka to maka ?

fesspark

Please do not do what I have done. My 3 year heavy goods licence expires soon so like a fool I ordered a new one, thinking that I would get the 11 months gratis replacement. No they have cancelled my licence that is still in date and replaced it with a 3 yr one and left out the heavy goods sections that I am entitled to. After emails and telephone calls they will not budge so now I have to wait until I can have a medical and eye assessment before I can drive my motorhome, it will mean I will now have to wait whilst they renew it once I have sent my upgraded info through to DVLA. .. WHAT A MISTAKA TO MAKA, still crying.!!!more expense.

Fesspark

fesspark - 2020-10-28 11:16 AM

Please do not do what I have done. My 3 year heavy goods licence expires soon so like a fool I ordered a new one, thinking that I would get the 11 months gratis replacement...

Fesspark

How did you ‘order’ a new licence, please?

As I understand it a licence with the C1 entitlement cannot be renewed on-line and the (postal) application for renewal must be accompanied by the appropriate medical examination documentation.

(I also THINK that the 11-month extension allowed for photocard licences did not apply to C1-entitlement versions.)

Well if it does not make any difference to C1 i will not have lost a lot then,but had I not renewed online I would have had some sort of reminder that my licence was due for renewal? cheers fesspark,p.s. my eyes are 100% as I have had cateract treatment to both eyes,and my health is not a problem as my ailments do not include my heart.

This link relates to renewing a driving licence if one is aged 70 or over

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

and includes the caveat

You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post.

Having checked further, it seems that ALL driving licences expiring between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020 had their expiry date extended by 11 months.

This link

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/expired-driving-licences-automatically-extended-by-11-months

advises

"...drivers whose photocard driving licence or entitlement to drive runs out between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020 will have their entitlement automatically extended from the expiry date, for a period of 11 months. Drivers do not need to apply to renew their licence until they receive a reminder before their extension expires.

I can (probably) understand why you might have wanted to renew your licence early if you plan to go to France/Spain in the first half of 2021, but your mistake was to overlook the advice on the on-line application webpage that C1 and D1 licences must be renewed by post.

(I’m a mite surprised that, having warned on the gov.uk webpage that C1 and D1 licences cannot be renewed on-line, that the application procedure itself does not begin by asking a question on the lines of “Are you applying to renew a C1 or D1 licence?” and - if the answer is “Yes” - stopping the application procedure at that point. When I was writing computer programs, if I recognised the possibility of human error in input, I always tried to deal with this in the software.)

A friend of mine reached his three score and ten earlier this year and had to go for a medical to keep his license entitlements --subsequently he's having to sell his Bolero 712 and get something smaller --he's looked into downplating and with nothing in the van other than him it rocks up at 3300kgs so it's there's not much leeway for water /gas/ food etc and that's without adding in the wife and the dog ! easiest thing sell and get a smaller unit, luckily he can keep it on the drive so he doesn't have to think about storage.

Guest pelmetman
fesspark - 2020-10-28 11:16 AM

Please do not do what I have done. My 3 year heavy goods licence expires soon so like a fool I ordered a new one, thinking that I would get the 11 months gratis replacement. No they have cancelled my licence that is still in date and replaced it with a 3 yr one and left out the heavy goods sections that I am entitled to. After emails and telephone calls they will not budge so now I have to wait until I can have a medical and eye assessment before I can drive my motorhome, it will mean I will now have to wait whilst they renew it once I have sent my upgraded info through to DVLA. .. WHAT A MISTAKA TO MAKA, still crying.!!!more expense.

Fesspark

I lost my PSV badge soon after I stopped driving buses ;-) ........

Does that rule not apply to truckers? :-S .......

pelmetman - 2020-10-28 6:33 PM

I lost my PSV badge soon after I stopped driving buses Does that rule not apply to truckers? .......

No I kept both my licences hgv an psv running for 12 yrs after I gave up driving either, I passed psv late 80's and they had stopped issuing badges before then

davidmac - 2020-10-28 5:53 PM

Hi I passed my C1 license medical earlier this year and I am wondering what ailments stop you from passing the medical? I had to get glasses for driving but otherwise no problem.

Regards David

Some light reading for the dark winter nights...

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/866655/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-information-assessing-fitness-to-drive

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-information-assessing-fitness-to-drive

As I allowed my C1 licence entitlement to lapse when I reached age 70 I’ve never explored what DVLA ‘medical’ forms are required to maintain or apply for that entitlement. However, the D4 form should give a good idea of what an examining doctor should be checking for.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873747/d4-medical-examiner-report-for-a-lorry-or-bus-driving-licence.pdf

As I understand Robert’s situation, having applied to renew his driving-licence on-line, the DVLA system cancelled his not-yet-expired licence (that had a C1 entitlement) and issued him with a basic ‘car’ licence that has a not-exceeding-3500kg vehicle-weight restriction - and the latter licence’s period of validity begins from the date he applied on-line (or thereabouts). If that’s correct, then Robert (as he says) no longer has a driving licence that permits him to legally drive his 3850kg Burstner motorhome.

Presumably the DVLA will reinstate Robert’s C1 entitlement once they have received the necessary medical paperwork, but it’s anybody’s guess what the start date of the replacement licence will be when it is eventually issued.

Archived