wheel viibration

Guest john steggles

Guest john steggles
Has anyone experienced the following problem with a2000 model fiat ducato with alko chassis? On reaching about 40mph in 3rd. or 4th. gear I am getting quite a strong vibration through the steering wheel, by about 45mph the vibration slowly decreases and stops. My first thought "wheel balance" Some 2000 miles ago I had two new Michelin camping tyres fitted and balanced with no problems, so I first checked for any tyre damage or missing balance weights. Every thing seems OK.

Guest Malcolm M
Are the tread patterns on your front wheels the same? I had the same trouble years ago with a Type 2 VW and the problem was solved by putting two identical tyres on the front.

could be a cv joint problem,i remember seeing something in interchange a year or so back. we used to have similar problems on ford front wheel drives due to lack of lubricant in joint.mainly noticeable on slight bends or accelerating out of round abouts.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Classic symptoms of wheel imbalance (or possibly a buckled wheel). Try putting the back wheels on the front - if the problem goes away then get the 'ex-front wheels' checked and re-balanced. Is the gear ("3rd or 4th") actually significant? This sort of problem is normally speed dependent and, if the culprits are the front wheels, then the gear being used shouldn't matter. To confirm this, try driving the vehicle down a steepish hill and, at the speed that the vibration occurs, putting the gearbox into neutral. Also check tightness of wheel-nuts and adjustment of wheel bearings.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Have read in a car mag of wheel bearing and faults in the steering gear linkages Also there are two possible wheel balancings the normal were an up /down out of balance AND a sideways where one side of the wheek weighs more Dont remember the technical terms but a dynamic balancer was reccomended On rally (etc)cars they test the brake drums - Mind it must be a fast motorhome for this to be required Going back to Noah's time a friend had that problem and found one of the bars holding the wheels on was bent - result of an accident before he got the car - It was quite violent above 40mph

Have you had the tracking checked? It's just a thought. It really does sound more like the balancing hasn't be done right - we have had this problem on another vehicle and it was definitely the wheel balance that was at fault. The suggestion to change the wheels would probably tell you this, or you could get them checked again, just in case someone got it wrong ... tyre technicians are human you know (even though some of them wear bright orange overalls!).

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2001 Ducato based Hymer 544. At 2 years and 50k miles I experienced "wheel wobble", it turned out to be the drive shafts. I was not at all happy to pay out £1000 to have them replaced John T

Archived