why the password fuss ?

Guest ukrv

why does this forum bother with passwords etc. i had never heard of the forum, until i purchased a copy of the mag. now that ive logged-in, i find the forum is very weak, with very few posts. may i suggest that the forum is made so you complete a simple registration process and that it may encourage more to use it. i for one won't be back after my (really special offer!!) of limited access expires - the forum just isnt that good. sorry. paul

Guest David Powell
Good evening Paul...If you think it is that bad, you obviously know what would make it better, or you would not have made such remarks in the first place. So why not tarry a while and show us how you think it should be.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Paul: The most impressive motorhome-related forum I've encountered resides on the French Campingcar-Infos website. Participation involves initial registration but, once you are in, it's a brave new world of statistics, voting, chat, private mail-boxes, etc. It's a masterpiece of construction created, managed and in continuous development by an IT expert. Perhaps this is the type of forum that would appeal to you, but, if "ukrv" indicates a particular interest in American RVs, then you'll feel very hard done by. When the MMM forum was originally set up with access by password I argued strongly that it should be open to all. At the time, it was evident that the forum's population was small and that this was limiting the forum's scope. The counter-argument from Warners was that opening the forum to everyone would leave it vulnerable to junk-postings (though there's still been a few of those lately) and egocentric loonies (my words not Warners'). I then suggested that, to up the head count, forum-access should be extended to buyers of Warners' "Which Motorcaravan" magazine, but this was vetoed by the WM editor for commercial reasons. (I still think this would be a good idea though.) The 3rd Warners' 'camping' magazine has its own forum, similar in concept to this one but with open access. This forum's population-size is clearly modest (reflecting the magazine's relatively small circulation figures compared to MMM) and it's apparent from the postings that it would be beneficial for the magazine's motorcaravanning readers if they could use the MMM forum instead. Unfortunately this would penalise the caravanning and tenting readers. I've grown quite fond of the MMM forum. I accept that its look and feel is unsophisticated and I'd like some minor improvements made to the format to improve clarity. Posting frequency varies and it seems fair to assume it will be low currently as MMM readers will be doing motorcaravanning rather than talking about it. Anyway, I don't rate posting frequency as a valid guide to a forum's worth - my neighbour's chickens do a lot of squawking but lay few eggs! I'm intrigued by your "i find the forum is very weak" observation. Having sampled other UK motorhome forums I would maintain that, if you are seeking information on motorhome-related subjects normally covered within MMM's pages (and I'm not just referring to technical subjects) then you'll more likely get a useful answer here than elsewhere. Your comment also suggests a preference for other forums and, for comparison purposes, it would valuable to learn which ones you like most. Our difference of opinion may reflect personal taste - I'm looking for Panorama while you may be looking for Big Brother.

Guest Paul D
motorhomefacts.com seems to have gained alot more interest and I find very useful. This forum seems to be slowly getting fewer and fewer postings.

Guest PeteC
Some people are never happy unless they have someting to complain about If you dont like the forum well why not join in and help improve it We have been away for a few months, so dont know how it has been going on regarding posts. It was quite busy when we went away, but perhaps people are on holiday

Guest Roy Hamilton
This is a nice easy forum, no complications. Just log in, ask a question and you get nice civilised answers. If you want to search for something it works. Some of us aren't web wizz kids and need things simple. Keep it up MMM.

Guest ALAN G
I agree with Roy Hamilton completely. Tried the Motorhome facts site last evening. Found it vey tedious to look at so many possible headings which then told me so very little. Looked up my own make of van to find only a tirade of abuse against a dealer. While the writer seemed to have had problems I felt that if that was the only sort of information that was available I wouldn't bother to visit the site again. The "tips" section had very little to offer. The generally "pally" type comments made me feel an intruder, who didn't want to join anyhow. Yes this is a great forum. Many thanks to all the contributers.

Guest David Powell
I also tried the 'motorhomefacts' last night,. and entered all the joining rigmarole and was told:- Welcome to motorhomefacts, We will Email you in seconds and give you your link word to enter............still waiting........not going to bother now, I'll just stick with you all on here, nice and easy going, simple smooth 'in & out' honest helpful knowledgable friends, all willing to share their experiences to assist and reassure others.....LONG LIVE THE MMM FORUM.

Guest David
Hiya All well feel i should just dip my toes in the water here and let you know that sometimes people join MHF forums and their email account confirmation emails bounce due to typos in the email address, we also get a lot of people from Hotmail / Aol etc who have either full email accounts and hence the email doesnt get to them, or the email gets mistaken for spam/bulk mail. If you ever have a problem trying to join the site then please refer to the Contact Us section top left of the site, we have a voluntary registration help committee member who would be only too willing to assist in your registration. The reason behind the registration in the first place is to ensure good quality people join the site and not spammers, people masquerading as mhers etc for nefarious purposes as they have to give an email address that is valid and confirmed before they are allowed access to certain aspects of the site. We listen to criticism and work hard daily to improve the site, so 'constructive' comments are always welcome whether they be negative or positive. We have a great deal of information on the site, and as such it can sometimes take a long time to drill down to it all to access, it is also hard to make it very easy to access all the info direct from the main page but we do modify our navigation systems with feedback from members :)

Guest johnbrown
sorry to hear you couldnt enter the mhf site its very friendly and informative . please do try again as we would also like to be pally with you guys .

Guest chris
Motorhomefacts.com forum is not just a forum it is a community so we are kind and friendly to everyone who joins the information that you get on there is varied and there is an extensive database of very usefull information for new and existing motorhomers dont be put off from joining we welcome new friends and fellow motorhomers.

Guest fjmike
Just thought I would add my two pennies worth. As a recent convert to the world of motorhomes I have found MHF an invaluable source of information, everyone is friendly and considerate. If a question is asked that has been answered in full before there is always someone who will post a link to the relevant postings. Questions are generally answered within hours unlike MMM where a question can be ignored if the regulars are away. The bottom line is that there is more than enough room for several motorhome forums, so best use the one(s) you feel comfy with

I post on both MMM and MHF forums. MHF forum is more friendly at least I have never received a cryptic remark to my posted opinion on MHF, such as posted by TonyS on Grow up Please 01/06/2005 on this forum.

Guest martin h
hi, assuming that there,s nothing phisicaly wrong with us, why should anyone want any more from this forum? if youve got a problem ,you just ask a question and someone will help you out. reading other peoples input is interesting and informative too, but if i want a relationship it will be with people not a computer!so i advise uktv to stop moaning and get out into the real world. its quite nice.

Guest Gary
Forums, by their nature, are what people want them to be. If you want it to be different, what's stopping you?

Archived