window etching

Guest Nick

Has anyone had their windows etched (glass and plastic) if so what do they think of the results? Anyone also have any comments on whether it is best to have the work done professionally or if it is ok to use the do-it-yourself kits?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Years ago I used to DIY-etch my car windows and the results were pretty good. One of my cars was professionally done (my isurance company had provided a free voucher) and the result was also OK. (Are you sure that plastic windows can be etched? The DIY kits I used were acid-based and designed for glass windows. The professionals used a sand-blasting technigue that I wouldn't think suitable for plastic.)

You can use a small burr thpe of tool to engrave the plastic windows - you could use one of those vibrating engraving tools Dont know if you can use the same stuff on plastic as they use to etch glass windows The stuff used to etch glass (when I last used it) could only be kept in plastic containers; they may however have changed the acid used by now

Hi Nick, There is usually a travelling technician who attends the Peterborough show that sandblasts index numbers onto both glass and plastic windows (and headlights). Unfortunately I can't recall his name but I'll see if I can find his card. He has been for the past two years. Rodger

Hi Nick, There is usually a travelling technician who attends the Peterborough show that sandblasts index numbers onto both glass and plastic windows (and headlights). Unfortunately I can't recall his name but I'll see if I can find his card. He has been for the past two years. Rodger

Hi We had our windows done last year at Peterborough show, a nice lady came round in the van and asked, it only cost £10.00 to do all of them including all the plastic ones (every individual pane) and the windscreen. Very good job indeed. For the small cost I don't think it's worth doing it yourself as by the time you've got a stencil, the engraving/etching materials etc it'd probably cost you that anyway and then you have the pratting about doing it to contend with and if you slip or make a mistake ... doesn't bear thinking about!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all. Just a short note to thank you all for your advice. I will see if I can fin the lady at the next show I go to and let her do it. Nick

Archived