windscreen marks

David

after parking my van in a underground car park for week ihad what looked like a lime stain running down the screen i have tried t cut and various cleaners to no effect help please!

I have had whitish marks on my windscreen too - I have presumed them to be polish residues dripping off the overcab. They seem to wash away with soapy water though. I did try one of those "clean screen" solutions (Rain-X) that are meant to dispel water more efficiently but it was not much better. If you think it is lime-based, have you tried some vinegar on a small bit of it?

Guest pete walker
hi, i know this may sound daft, but have you tried a little wd40?. youl be amazed what this stuff can shift, clean your glass propperly afterwards though. pete

Guest Brian Kirby
Drips from an underground car park are almost bound to be lime salts from concrete. The glass is softer than the deposit, so attempts to remove with abrasives will remove or scratch the glass, but won't have much affect on the deposit. Stop now before you ruin your windscreen! You'll need to use something acidic. Vinegar was suggested, but will tend to run off before it can work. If you can get the screen, and the vinegar, warm (only warm, mind), it will work better (heat will speed the reaction) but you may find just rubbing over the deposit with a cut lemon will be more effective. The natural stickiness of lemon juice will tend to hold it in contact with the deposit for longer, so you can just leave it on. Rain or heavy dew, of course, will dilute/remove the lemon juice, so unless you're under cover, the remedy will be weather dependent. It should, however, eventually, dissolve the deposits. It will be slow, even slower at present low temperatures, but should eventually take to stain off. Just rub with a cut lemon each evening and leave until next day. Then rinse off and keep repeating until teh deposit has gone. Dont try anything stronger, though! Hope this helps Brian

Guest David Powell
Have you tried Lidls W5 BATHROOM MOUSSE? Some one suggested that a long time ago for getting those black streaks off body work, works a treat, might be worth a try. Just follow instructions on the can.

Archived