winter sites in France

Guest mervyn

Guest mervyn
We are planning to travel down the west coast of France to Spain in Jan 06 returning in early April 06. Starting point Cherbourg crossing into Spain at San Sebasitian. Does any one have detials of sites open at this time of the year. We will be arriving at Cherbourg around 8pm can you stop in the port area over night and is it safe or is there a site close by?

Mervyn Not exactly on the coast but we often use 'La Futuriste', at Futuroscope,Near Poitiers. Its right next to the N10/A10 so makes an ideal overnight stop. You have two choices here; Either use Futuroscope's own parking area, which means you can pull in at any time of the day or night, or the attached campsite as above. You could also take a break and enjoy the tech park itself for av day, especially on the way back. Have fun Ron

Guest Derek Uzzell
If you GOOGLE search on "Cherbourg camping" you'll find that the CAMPING MUNICIPAL DE LA SALINE is open all year. This is pretty close to Cherbourg's ferry port but I can't say I've ever fancied staying there. In fact, you can happily overnight at the port itself on a large parking-area (with a toilet block) assigned for people waiting for ferries. I've never heard any adverse reports regarding safety and I've stayed there myself (with lots of others). Your best bet for details of winter-open campsites (and there are quite a few in France) is to get hold of one of the several site guides available, then check via the internet that those that said they were open still say they are! There's still the possibility that, by 2006, some of these might have revised their opening periods but most will be operating.

Hi Mervyn, would certailnly recomend parking overnight at the ferry port if arriving late in the evening or before an early morning departure. Advise parking on the inland side of the large area to reduce noise from heavy lorries arriving overnight. We have parked there many times, never a problem, additional toilet and snack facilities in the huge booking hall only 100yds from parking area. There are lots of suitable overnight parking areas as you travel south down the coast if campsites are closed. Enjoy your trip.

Guest Audrey
Hi, Mervyn, We park in the visitors carpark just to the right of the entrance to the port. There is a toilet block there as well. Camping du Val de Baize, just south of the Argentan by-pass, is open all year and south of Poitiers, Camping la Moulin, Chef Boutonne via D950 and D948. Next to the border, Camping Larrouleta, Urrugne, exit Junc.2, St. Jean de Luz.

Archived