Fuel cost impact

Administrator

Fuel cost impact  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hope to go into Europe more where Diesel is cheaper. (especially Spain)

Use TESCO Vouchers for Channel crossing and STILL save money.

But agree with Nomad, it does make sense to do less short trips covering the same ground & more longer (timewise) tours.

I couldn't care less about the cost of diesel and that's not because we're well off either.

Moan about it yes, and I blinked a bit at the last "full to the brim" as it breached £80 for the first time.

As for altering usage patterns or anything like that, not a chance. I'd find an alternative economy elsewhere if I had to.

Sultan Of Brunei

Costs would need to go a lot higher to have an impact on our trips away.

If things got really bad, we'd probably cut the distances down rather than the number of trips away.

Driving into strong headwinds last week saw our average consumption drop to 18.3 mpg.

Ken.

dont really think about the costs when filling , its has to be done to enjoy the hobby / lifestyle of the chosen holiday mode.

Its certainly cheaper filling my MH up for what we use it each year compared to when we had a caravan. Then I had a 4x4 which cost me £70 a week all year long regardless.

Now I dont need the 4x4 so have a smaller more efficient car.

Even so , I still dont think too long about fuel costs as they are a neccessity rather than a luxury , sadly I have to pay.

I still remember my first motorbike , I used to fill it up every other Friday and it cost me a whole £1.98p for 2 weeks of independence. Yes 95p a gallon , those were the days and I worried at the pending £1 a gallon and how I could afford it on my pocket money - then when I asked my mom for a raise in my pocket money , she made go a get a job as she wasn't going to bail me out any more - AAAAHHHHHH , the joys of being 16 and care free , sadly long gone!!!!!

I almost gasped when Hubby filled our tank up for the first time, he stopped at £80.00 and it wasn't quite full! Having chatted with other motorhome users I find that this is quite reasonable - we have a T5 California - you wouldn't guess through my name would you :-D

We did fill up with half a tank the next time, purely to take less weight on board to see if it changed fuel consumption, also reduced amount of water on board too.

To be honest, we love our baby so much that it wouldn't matter how much the fuel cost - the whole lovely experience is worth every single bean of fuel money.

I must say we have used caravan club and camping and caravan club sites and found everyone to be jolly and friendly.

I am well and truly HOOKED ! ;-)

We had to pay site fees for each night away in our caravan; now we just park up in carefully selected lay-bys or with the HGVs on industrial estates when en-route this more than makes up for the fuel costs.

Also, we usually do not need to pay for hook-up if we do use a site so saving about £6/night; overall the MH is cheaper and far more convenient than the caravan.  (Except when parking in towns).

Madmaggott - 2010-11-02 6:55 PMWe had to pay site fees for each night away in our caravan; now we just park up in carefully selected lay-bys or with the HGVs on industrial estates when en-route this more than makes up for the fuel costs.

Also, we usually do not need to pay for hook-up if we do use a site so saving about £6/night; overall the MH is cheaper and far more convenient than the caravan.  (Except when parking in towns).

or the IoW :D :D

Two thoughts- fistly, should try to go to teh continent more tha driving in Uk...better mpg,and cheaper deisel, and from here in South east we can get some excellent ferry prices.

Secondly, if you take into account the total cost of a holiday, the percentage on fuel is not that great, and we could save more by not having electrics on many camp sites, where especially on the continent we are charged 4-5€ per night, which if we cut to 50% of the sites nights, would save us far more than the increased fuel costs!

I always budget in the cost of fuel for our trips with the overall holiday costs so guess I don't really think about it too much. However, we do have a limited holiday budget for the whole year so I guess if that were to start to deplete faster then a few weekend bolt hole trips may have to go by the wayside. Unfortunately it's not just a matter of economising elsewhere, with wages frozen for 3 years and other costs rising there are too many areas of the normal household budget that require cutting. If things got really tight it would probably, albeit reluctantly, the M'home that would be sacrificed..........I can't beleve that I actually uttered those words :$

phil - 2010-11-04 4:39 AM

A 55 gallon petrol tank takes a lot, thank goodness we have five long range lpg tanks on board. will spend more time away and less short trips

like you phil we have long range lpg tanks but we try to stay in one area for a few weeks staying on CLs or CSs or during the summer THSs. Site seeing with our toad car. Staying on a site for next 26 days £7 night with electric. Thats where we economise by staying on small sites and not spending £15 - £20 per night. Magic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vanextraordinaire
Longer trips away, definitely the answer! Ours costs a fortune, an RV and fuel definitely the most expensive part of the trip. We live in S.W. France and have seen fuel rocket too. Last week though it was €1.12 in the supermarket as opposed to €1.19 the week before. Why!!!! Maybe Tunisia in January thru to March then back to Sicily and slowly, slowly does it up through Italy! As I understand it, fuel in Tunisia, about 50p per litre! Will keep you posted!!

Archived