Motorhome wishlist

Administrator

flicka - 2010-06-22 9:56 PM With VAT rising to 20% in 2011, the top of new buyers wish list is likely to be LOwer Manufacturers'prices :-|

Question was "what innovations?"

Neither a VAT rise or lower prices (highly unlikely) has anything to do with a manufacturer being innovative.

I was reading the MMM this morning looking at payloads on European campers, to be honest I was being nosey and wanted to see what a chap in the next road had paid for his new camper (list price) - Rollerteam. That then drew my attention to the payloads and I went down the list of the cab overs and found some with as low as 300kgs. Now I drive an American Winnebago Aspect which is 24'.9" long and comes in at 10,800lbs or 4,899 kgs. I still get a hansom amount of carry power. How can a European van have sleeping for 4 with such a low load capacity? My St Bernard dog would take that allowance up on her own.

Bazza454 - 2010-06-23 9:11 AM
flicka - 2010-06-22 9:56 PM With VAT rising to 20% in 2011, the top of new buyers wish list is likely to be LOwer Manufacturers'prices :-|

Question was "what innovations?"

Neither a VAT rise or lower prices (highly unlikely) has anything to do with a manufacturer being innovative.

But a price reduction often requires the manufacturer to adopt an innovative approach to achieve it. :D :D

More twin beds with garages.

More large fridge /freezers.

External BBQ as standard along with refillable Gas.

Cruise Control as standard

Reversing Camera as standard.

Awning as Standard.

All with spare wheels.

Don't want much really do I, some will come with all this I know but I also know at a price we can't afford. :'(

Mandy

A manufacturer with a strong balance sheet and secure lines of business finance who won't be going bust within 12 months.

A legal requirement for every new and used motorhome to be sold with a public weighbridge certificate showing the weight at the point of delivery less a small allowance for fuel used to return the vehicle from the weighbridge.

A legal requirement for all sellers of equipment for use in caravans and motorhomes to publish the weight of each item in every advertisement, catalogue, product list and on the packaging.

A legal requirement for all commercial sellers of new and used motorhomes to advise buyers of the driving license categories required to operate the supplied vehicle on UK roads.

As for van innovations:

Better insulation/reflective materials to keep van interiors cool when parked in direct sunshine and to retain internal heat in cold weather.

More durable interior fabrics which resist staining and won't fade in sunlight.

Move towards market generic external light clusters on habitation bodies to improve parts supply and reduce initial and replacement costs.

Bob

how about some kind of intergrated solar panels as standard.

Partly to aid those who dont use hook up and partly to aid battery charging when the vans not in use.

At present I have to leave on hookup at home because the batteries drain in about 3 days. (design 'feature' I'm told!!!).

Also , more thought to how pipes and things like water pumps are positioned. I've got a water pump and pipes bang in the middle of one of my under seat storage areas making it virtually un usuable , total waste of space and means I've got to spend time smartening it up.

RogP - 2010-06-25 10:41 AM

how about some kind of intergrated solar panels as standard.

Partly to aid those who dont use hook up and partly to aid battery charging when the vans not in use.

At present I have to leave on hookup at home because the batteries drain in about 3 days. (design 'feature' I'm told!!!).

A chap on our road has a big coachbuilt job which he has to park on the street as it won't fit the drive, and he has to sling a hook-up cable overhead to the house. (Since the latter is a modest bungalow, local speculation wonders which way the electricity is going - does he need the van to power the house?)

Back to OP - there have been a few references above (and elsewhere!) to payload, which prompt me to suggest compulsory A-level Maths for manufacturers, so we could assume that a van which sleeps four would AUTOMATICALLY have four seatbelts, and enough payload for four people and their reasonable kit.

Similarly, that a van with lots of storage space should have enough payload (and appropriate axle limits) for the space to be used!

Tony Jones - 2010-06-25 2:38 PM ............ Back to OP - there have been a few references above (and elsewhere!) to payload, which prompt me to suggest compulsory A-level Maths for manufacturers, so we could assume that a van which sleeps four would AUTOMATICALLY have four seatbelts, and enough payload for four people and their reasonable kit. Similarly, that a van with lots of storage space should have enough payload (and appropriate axle limits) for the space to be used!

Blimey, A level maths?  The calculations are so simple they can be done on fingers and toes, with the just aid of a pencil and fag packet!  It isn't the maths that is required, it's just a bit of extra effort!  :-( 

The number of travel seats should at least equal the number of berths.  Why stop at 4?  :-D

It's not just payload for the contents of cupboards that is lacking, there are some 6 berth vans that can barely accommodate a full complement of passengers, if same are taken to weigh 75kg each - without any allowance for goods and chattels!

I'm afraid the industry is, in this respect, simply dishonest.  It really is no good marketing these vehicles, when they aren't reasonably usable unless on the heavier chassis.  If that restricts their appeal, so be it.  Far better in the long run to sell that which will truly function as a motorhome, but accept that this means selling less of some types, than to sell (non)motorhomes that cannot reasonably be used. 

Many buyers so abused will not come back to be fooled a second time.  Those who find their vans work, also tend to find them a source of great pleasure, and so tend to aspire to replace them in due course.  How much do you have to pay to get directors with at least that much intelligence?

• 2 weeks later...

Innovation!

A petrol powered van with LPG conversion. I could run the vehicle on the same fuel powering the heating and cooking. And don't tell me I can use diesel for cooking and heating, I object to paying fuel duty just to heat water!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived