Motorhoming memories...

Administrator

Guest Tracker

Watching the sun rise over the dunes in the Sahara in February - whilst the UK was bathed in glorious snow and ice!

Watching the sun never set over the Nordkapp on midsummers day!

Watching the rain never stop for two days at John 'O Groats - in July!

Guest pelmetman
Taking 3 attempts to get out of Lamorna Cove Cornwall. Where anyone in their right mind wouldn't take a coachbuilt camper:D....................That's just one of many:-S

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2011-08-03 3:45 PM

Taking 3 attempts to get out of Lamorna Cove Cornwall. Where anyone in their right mind wouldn't take a coachbuilt camper:D....................That's just one of many:-S

Now there's a memory revived - back in the early 70's I used to take a Bedford TK United Biscuits truck way down to Lamorna Cove to deliver to the harbourside cafe - that was graet fun too in August - and it used to give the grockles nightmares when I drove out up the hill flat out - 25 mph!

One memory of early motorhome days, always gives our friends a laugh.

I was taking my brother to Motorcycle Race meeting at Snetterton, late on a Friday night,

I had an old Bedford CA Ambulance (1500cc petrol) converted to a basic motorhome cum Race transporter.

Going down the Thetford straight I began to lose power & was overtaken by a Deer, running along the verge.

Eventually made it to Snetterton very early hours of saturday morning, gates locked & thick fog.

We slept on the entrance apron, woke by other Racers arriving around 6am & got the |van into the paddock.

Once we had got the Racing bike through scruteneering, I set to work on the van, anticipating a blocked carb. stipped it all down, cleaned, re-assembled & refitted the carb, same with the fuel pump, thinking that's sorted it as the engine was then running fine.

After my brothers' racing, we set off home Sunday afternoon only to get about 20miles down the road & again started to loose power.

Knowing the carb was Ok, I pondered what to do & thinking that the fuel pump must be faulty.

After much checking & re-checking, I took the tank off the Racing bike, siphoned petrol out of the Van's tank, into the racing bike's tank. Rigged this tank up in the cab, suspended from the overcab shelf, with a pipe directly to the carb.

It got over the problem, but I had to stop every 40 miles to repeat the procedure.

Got home at 1am Monday morning, to a concern OH, who expected us home around 8pm Sunday, with a face covered with black oily smears & stinking of petrol.

Never want to taste petrol again.

Holidaying with our kids in our Compass Clipper in the 80’s.

Driving through Paris late in the evening to try and avoid the traffic on the Peripherique and kids (8 and 4) supposedly sleeping in the Luton. The plan was get round Paris and stop for a few hours and then get south during the day. Stopped for fuel north of Paris at 11 pm and saw 2 faces peeping out of the Luton windows. Thought ‘well that plan did not work’. However, they were as happy as larry with the motorhome and we had many many happy holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...
West Cost Ireland pitching up one sunny summers evening very close to the sea and a beautiful view, watched the sun go down over the water, only to be woken at 0400 am with horizontal rain slamming into the van and I had to move it to a more shelter spot as one of the window seals was also leaking, can laugh and joke about it now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

- Sunset over Mount Cervino in one December late afternoon (Cervinia, Italy)

- Aiguille du Midi under moonlight in an August crystal clear midnight (Chamonix, France)

- Endless sunset at Scourie Bay (Scotland).

- Sunrise at Parnidis Dune (Nida, Lithuania)

- Arizona sunsets, sky from light orange to red, violet, indigo, blue, black (Monument Valley, USA)

- Atlantic strong gale in a misty day (Cabo da Roca, Portugal)

Then my favourite: foggy Skye, raining Skye, cloudy Skye, sunny Skye, all in half of an hour

Max

Archived