Pets and your motorhome

Administrator

Pets and your motorhome  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have taken my dog abroad since she was a tiny puppy, she's now 7. The idea of the visit to a French vet is to leave any offending "creatures" behind in France, hence the wait of 24 to 48 hours before boarding the ferry. The first time we brought her back to England though she was totally unco-operative, despite umpteen stops on the journey, and refused to relieve herself (in any way!) until we were on site in Cirencester! Fortunately since then she has kept to the rules, although if I could find the scent that attracts a bitch I could make a fortune and cut down on the stops!

Another thing she did was to sit on the driving seat and put her paws firmly on the horn when she decided we had left her long enough to do the shopping. Passers by thought this was hilarious and we often returned to find a group of laughing French people. Now I travel alone I get a lot of startled looks if she sits on the passenger seat - the French do a double-take at the dog driving the vehicle!

We take our dogs along, of course, but we also take our pet rats. A few years ago, when staying on a Caravan Club site, we had just arrived and got pitched, I decided to go check out where the facilities where so got out my pet rat, Sprite, and put him on my shoulder so he could have a bit of fresh air. I went into the toilet block and came out again a few minutes later as a Mum and her children walked by about 10 ft away, the kids spotted the rat and pointed at it, laughing and telling their Mum ... when the Mum looked I just turned to her and said "it's amazing what you find here isn't it!". What made this even more funny was that the Mum was actually petrified of rats .... however, she didn't actually react (I wasn't close to her) and the kids came over and said hello to Sprite.

A short while later the kids came over to our camper and asked if their Mum could come over and see the rat - she knew it was silly to be scared of them and wanted to see how she got on with a friendly pet rat. By the time she'd spent 5 minutes with us she was not only happy to stroke him, but hold him as well ... the kids did say that their Dad had poured her a large whisky for when she went back to their caravan though!

340661030_SpriteindunesinIrelend.jpg.974b1b113cc31ebd5eae2bf53c7ea3d4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived