UK holidays

Administrator

UK holidays  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The pound would have to get a lot worse against the Euro to persuade me to swap motorhome-friendly mainland Europe for motorhome-enemy Britain for my main holiday. I stay in the UK for 24 weekend breaks each year, but that's primarily because crossing the Channel for just a weekend is time-consuming and comparatively expensive. Once my wife and I can up-sticks for several months at a time, the UK tourism industry can kiss goodbye to most of my financial contributions.

Bob

We'd already planned our main summer trip when it all went "crunch," but I don't think it would have made any difference. It's a trip we really want to do, and we've worked out a budget that still makes it possible.

I'd be interested to see comments from those who've voted "Yes."

Are you regular UK holiday-ers, or wild rovers who've been temporarily "grounded" by the financial situation?

Tony Jones - 2009-05-26 5:20 PM

We'd already planned our main summer trip when it all went "crunch," but I don't think it would have made any difference. It's a trip we really want to do, and we've worked out a budget that still makes it possible.

I'd be interested to see comments from those who've voted "Yes."

Are you regular UK holiday-ers, or wild rovers who've been temporarily "grounded" by the financial situation?

Like Tony we had already planned our main summer trip but we are staying in the UK.

In answer to his request, Yes we are seasoned UK campers and haven't ventured across the channel yet. We will one day though, just don't know when yet.

Keith.

Answer to Tonys' question. We have venture across the water many times and spent many a holiday travelling around most areas of France Germany and other odd spots. Now at the age we suddenly reliased we had not seen a lot of Uk north of Watford so in the last couple of years have been making up for missed opertunities by travelling around Scotland Ireland and this year wales the exchange rate between Ero and £ is'nt a factor (spelling mistakes are finger problems)

It makes little difference to our choice of main holiday. I dread to think what the cost of a 2-3 week stay in the UK would be, particularly if you are like us and wish to stay on decent quality, secure sites.

Even allowing for not staying on some commercial sites charging £30+ per night, (and the rest no doubt), it wouldn't be an inconsiderable amount staying on a club site. Ok, you can use the CL/CS facilities of the clubs if that's your bag but it wouldn't be ours for that length of time.

Before we discovered the van, we tent camped for 10 nights in Newquay, I clearly remember feeling I'd been mugged when doing the "wallet inventory" at the end of the day.

Plus there's the weather..

Martyn

We are doing both this year - we're going to Europe (hopefully down to Italy) for 3 weeks and have 2 weeks booked in August, hopefully to have a nice toddle round Scotland.

One difference this year, though is that we've managed to get work to agree to let us off for the extra week so we can spend longer in Europe. :-D Hence why we decided only to have one European trip this year which is mainly because of the cost of the dogs - the Tunnel costs £30 per dog (x3), then the vet on the way back, around £100, so there's nearly £200 before we even set off! Yes, you can save a lot once you're there by using aires and cheaper sites, but if you use the CLs you can keep the costs down here in the UK. Most years we've had two European trips but only averaging 2 weeks duration each.

The Euro rate hasn't had any effect on this at all as, overall with the amount that we actually spend, the worse exchange rate doesn't make a massive difference to the cost for us.

Certainly not! We go where we want to and if it costs more then that's budgeted for as the holiday. In the last few years we have been to both Norway and Switzerland, both of which we were told were expensive and that didn't put us off going nor returning. We support the UK at weekends and short breaks. The credit crunch will only make a difference whether we can have a holiday or not, not where we are going. In fact it is probably better going to Europe than staying in the UK for the following reasons - better weather, motorhome friendly countries, aires/stellplatz etc where you can cost cut and of course cheaper (maybe by not alot) diesel. We worked out that to spend everynight on a campsite in the UK was more expensive than the crossing to Europe and staying on aires etc with the odd campsite. We have toured the UK for many years and now find it more pleasurable in Europe.

Also with the amount of foreign motorhomes over here so far this year, I'd hate to think how congested the UK sites are going to get over the summer period! They may be taking advantage of the good Euro/pound exchange rate, but I'm sure many are going to find how motorhome unfriendly the UK is.

We have been to Cambridge (February) and Somerset, Devon & Cornwall (Easter). We planned our Spanish tour last year and go in August. I have not purchased my Euro's yet but noted on the Post Office Travel Money site that the Euro has gone up from 1.09 to 1.12 in the last week.

The credit crunch wil not prevent me from venturing to warmer climes for main summer holiday, although effect of credit crunch will probably require having to revise how often we get away in the year though.

Poppy - 2009-06-04 7:09 AMFrance this year.Climate really and the ease of motorhoming. We do have lots of short trips/weekends in Britain though!

Same as above, The ease that you are able to travel, park and camp in France far out ways the busy roads and the general council attitudes towards motorhomes in the UK.
We have already planned our trip (with help from the forum) and will possibly eat and drink in the motorhome a little more than normal

We have just returned from our 2nd trip to the South of France since the beginning of May via Eurotunnel 1st 2 week trip to Port Grimoud fantastic weather etc cost just under £400 2nd 2 week trip to Vias Plage weather even better again cost just under £400 including Le-Shuttle using non toll roads and Aires en-route diesel was from .91e to .96e per ltr best rate using Nationwide Debit Card 1.156 worst 1.132 e to £1 now planning to return in about 2 weeks again , like for like there is no-where in the UK to match it for me ..

No

Had three weeks over the Easter period,

1 week around Wrexham/Chirk area,

1 week around Woburn/Neport Pagnell area

and a superb week @ CC park Houghton Mill in Huntingdonshire.

Off to Dunkirk 8th of August then it's either left or right or straight on from the docks, depending on the weather.

Had probably the best 3 weeks touring holiday last year:-

Luxembourg-Moselle Valley-Miltenberg-Passau-Tulln(Vienna)-Bad Mitterndorf-Achensee-Sigmaringen-Colmar-Troyes-St Omer.

£1150.00p for wife & myself & including ferries (Norfolk line)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived