Website improvements

Administrator

I thimk most people start by searching the area they wish to visit and then going on from there. Keeping the search" tight" by listing under Towns/City rather than County helps

Very handy to search by available attractions too. e.g. Type in The Eden Project and sites within driving distance are shown

Many years ago The Caravan Club listed sites next to Public Houses and I found this extremely useful if we wanted a weekend away with no cooking.

I miss this listing.

When we are looking for campsites in the UK (fairly rarely!) I usually go straight to ukcampsite.co.uk. It's not the most attractive website but it's easy to use and it's very useful having the reviews.

Pitchup.com is quite good too but it suffers from being quite new so doesn't have the range of sites, and has hardly any reviews yet.

Andy

I have a cd (available from Caravan Club) which is Garmin quest compatible and lists all cc sites and cls and shows them on computer screen maps. Routing is plotted on screen the loaded to Quest for navigation.

Caravan and Camping club publishes all site info with satnav data in their book, and this can be loaded manually to sat navs, I beleive they might be publishing the data in the future as cd or similar.

I dont know if either will licence it to others for publication.

tonyg3nwl

I find the most effective way to find a campsite anywhere in Europe (possibly the world) is to use google maps. Zoom to the required geographical area (not too close, you can zoom in really close after to refine the selection) then enter 'camping' in the search box. I have discovered campsites that I've not seen in books or other websites, even in the UK. Usually the campsite webpage is shown and often reviews. It is also very useful to see both map, 'satellite' and terrain views of the surrounding area.

I also use the Eurocampings section of ACSI and many other 'campsite finder' sites.

Never used the web for finding campsites. We learned the hard way when we had a caravan, and the first two sites we had booked were horrendous! Now we never book anything other than our favourite ferry line crossing, we just follow our noses, and as I don't want to be bothered with business matters (I help run our son's haulage business) I don't take my laptop with me to look for sites when I am over the water I collect all the site books I have been given, bought, borrowed etc, and together with magazine write-ups, on road observations and personal recommendations , off we go. By not booking in advance we are not disappointed to find the site is not up to our expectations. By our method we have found some lovely sites including a lovely little campsite south of Grenoble which we saw signposted at the side of the road; it is only open for July and September, is VERY reasonaly priced and is in a stunning location.

Archived