Your next main touring holiday

Administrator

Your next main touring holiday  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(lol) we are off on the 29th for our main holiday, touring france, spain and maybe Portugal but the later doubtful, being that we operate a transport company, and have spent most of this year watching fuel & inflation costs, and trying to cut back where we can (NOT EASY) its definately not going to spoil our vacation, we will just go with the flow, and pay what we have to, live is for living, and you only get one chance at it. *-) so enjoy

Guest Tracker

Being retired and debt free the credit crunch makes no difference to us at all.

The only holidays we do in the UK are weekend rallies and/or shows, plus the regular 600 miles to Dover and back that it is hard to avoid due to where we live.

The unwelcoming nature of most UK towns and the government's attitude towards motorists in general are the crowning glory of our discontent.

ALL main holidays abroad from 2006 onwards.

We are living day to day at moment due to other reasons.The credit crunch will proboly leave me jobless, whilst this will not imediatly make me 'pennyless' it would of cause be wise to reduce any unessaary spending to a minimum, I have a predicted retirment age of 60 and thats best part of 8 years away, that aside I am still hopefull of buying van and getting back up to NW Scotland next summer.

Fortunately for us, I don't think the credit crunch will not affect us at all.

We are debt free and currently have almost everything we need.

One small problem is a daughter who is a very bad financial planner and often needs bailing out, always in the several hundreds too

Its not the credit crunch that's affecting me its the foot crunch! When we were in Germany in June a heavy door swang back and injured the back of my leg just above the ankle. It has cause a massive amount of discomfort and healing seems to be a very slow process. We were meant to be leaving the UK on 26th August for 6 weeks in France but that is likely to be postponed or cancelled. Fortunately Eurotunnel have a very fair policy on moving dates.

David

The 29th will see us on our way to Italy - as we are calling in to the Ares factory, about 1 hour North of Venice, we have decided to cut Milan off our travels (giant traffic jams last year!) and instead have revised our route to:

France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany (first time), Austria then Italy. This way is about the same distance but less tolls - as far as Italy anyway :-S - than our route to Garda last year - France Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy.

After our factory visit we will head for Tuscany for a week before heading back - whichever way takes our fancy - can't wait...... :->

:-D We are sailing from Plymouth next Sunday to Santander,and the plan is to go across northern Spain down the coast to Portugal then back into Spain we have a house in Moraira.{which is for sale} spend 2/3 weeks there and finally into France sailing fromRoscoff back to G.B. for Christmas.

The Credit Crunch: We normally have 3/4 trips away to Europe but this year just 3,we are both retired. I was an Estate Agent, and I am VERY pleased not to be involved in that any longer!! We have decided that maybe be a BIT careful but who want's to be the richest man in the graveyard? Orbslos

First time ever, we've done two Continental trips this year. First was in Mar/Apr through France and down to (near) Alicante, then in Jul/Aug to the Medoc area.

So our "next major trip" (not counting 1-2 night outings) will prob be next summer now. That should be the big one. We've booked the ferry already (Stena can do that) to Hook of Holland, with a view to heading East for FIVE WEEKS - Amsterdam, Berlin, Warsaw, Vienna, Ljubljana, who knows? More details nearer the time as the plans come together!

Credit crunch hasn't affected us, but we'll have to watch the price of diesel.

WON'T be doing major trips in UK, as (unless we join a club for CL's)campsite prices are a rip-off. No, that's not strictly fair - UK sites are simply expensive, often because they provide lots of "facilties" we don't need, having already spent a large sum on a self-contained van.

In June we intended going to the Vercors region of France, but an injured foot put paid to serious walking so we meandered for four weeks through Brittanny, down to Bordeux, then slowly back through the Charente region. Very enjoyable but next year we will try to get to the Vercors.

Then probably in September/October next year, Germany and possibly Austria.

This September/October we are limiting ourselves to shorter trips closer to home to save on fuel, but will carry on going somewhere throughout the winter.

Hopefully on the continent, though no definite plan yet.

We find it much more motorhome friendly over there, many more campsites, and (usually) cheaper fuel.

In France there is also the bonus of roads that are less congested.

.... and no-one ever asks us " Have you booked ?" !!!!

Thanks Ria - we certainly are, I will have time to load van tomorrow morning with clothes etc. before OH comes back from work and we're off about 2.30 - we are booked on the 6.40 train but are so keen to get going we are hoping to get on one about 5 pm.

I will probably bore everybody with a tale of our travels (in brief) on our return ;-) - after 15 days (lol) Will have a drink for the Judge on Monday when we are in Italy..... :-> B-) B-)

Off to Italy & France tomorrow, it will cost us at least £100 more for fuel than it did last spring but as it will only cost even more next year we intend to do this trip now and next year stay closer to the Atlantic coast and see the bits we have driven through on the way to the med or Spain.

We should have been going to France, Spain and Portugal in September until Christmas, but real life has intervened and now we aren't going until January. To help get over the disappointment we are combining our spring tour with it and staying out until July!

We are planning to add Italy, Switzerland and Germany to our itnerary.

We are also weighing up the cost of taking the van to Lanzarote for a couple of months, but £2,700 for the ferry is the big obstacle there. Fuel is going to cost what it costs so I have a relaxed view of that personally. We hope to cut back on it somewhat by staying in places for perhaps a week or so at a time and where we can use public transport to explore places. I do realise that not everyone has the time allocation we have so travel between places is more vital.

OAL Moderator - 2008-08-21 11:32 AM

Where do you plan to spend your main touring holiday over the next 12 months?

Have your plans been affected by the credit crunch or is it not a factor?

My wife and i have just got back from four weeks in Scotland and she keeps a sort of motorhome accounts book and diary. Tonight we were running through some costs. This year, so far, we have spent a total of eighteen weeks away from home and will probably take one more Euro trip late September. We spent an average of £43 a day in total including gifts for family and some personal items, the strange thing is we seem to spend around this wether in Europe or UK. We spend more on fuel in Europe, greater miles travelled, and more on campsites in the UK. Last year we averaged around £40 a day so increase will not affect us yet. If we stay at home our average spend is around £33 a day. So our holidays cost us a net £10 a day and I reckon that is great value. If we cut out staying only at caravan club sites in UK and staying on cheap sites in Europe it would cost us little more on holiday than staying at home, so can see no reason as yet to curtail anything. These costs are of course over and above the ones that keep going whatever you do, rates, electric, heating etc.

Just completed my first ever Journey,6 days in "Skeggy"in our first ever "van"

I intend to make my second "Trek" on Wed.. to Cornwall.My "New" van..well a 55 reg Carioca 656..will increase its 5000 miles on the clock considerably..but only on "shortish" trips..say 5/6 days.My usaul trek is to catch a "big bird" to Brisbane,pick up a vehicle there and then travel up through Queensland to Cairns..going on 2000km.Stopovers at such as Whitsundays[for Barrier Reef] and Mission Beach..etc. miles of deserted beach.white sand and no one on it, I would like to swop my "van" with someone in Aus and do a "tour" out there.I have been fortunate enough to travel in France/Spain/Portugal/Far east/and much of Europe..but Aus is another world..honest?Even the the Spiders are different?What has impressed me most has been the friendly /helpful attitude of of all {motorhome and Caravan] people i have encountered..brilliant,love you all?

Archived