Brittany-France

spartan3956

how long do you want your answer (lol) (lol) (lol)

seriously - is there any thing you particularly like doing, we often drive around the coast of wherever we happen to be; and so really like doing this in Brittany they have excellent [and different ] coast lines. Do you like canals cos they've got one of them as well. Inland is also great. Ancient history - they've got Arthurian legends and standing stones.

The best bit for me is the crepes!! and the toffee!

You do know that the weather is very variable - altho we usually manage to do ok.

How long have you got over there and how much driving do you want to do - are you looking for 1 or 2 sites for a couple of weeks or lots of little ones? Which port are you using?

B-)

twooks

We have decided to change what we usually do, instead of touring in the camper for 3 weeks.

This holiday make a campsite a base or two at the most and sightsee on my motorcycle which i will trailer over there. Distance will not be a problem.

I do like to visit interesting towns and area`s ,

I havent been in this region or on this coast at all, I basically need some pointers where to go. I would hate to miss the unmissable.

Yes Im a crepe`s fan plus the ham cheese and bread. wine when im not driving.

The dates are not cast in stone but we usually go when the uk children have gone back to school and the area`s are much quieter.

Pete

Peter

Just a suggestion, mind, but what you will see will be visual, so words are a poor substitute for pictures.  Brittany is not totally unlike Cornwall in many respects.  The indigenous inhabitants are Celtic in origin, like the indigenous Cornish, many of the place names sound familiar and a bit is even called Cornwaille.  It is a very popular holiday area, especially for Parisians, and gets very busy in season.  Sites near the coast get heavily booked.  It's weather, of course, is very influenced by whatever is coming across the Atlantic. 

After the words, therefore, the suggestion.  A good, well illustrated, guide book from your local library will tell you far more about what it is like scenically, and what the towns, villages and cities look like architecturally, than we could ever convey here.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

If you like pre-history and archeology as I do, you really must head for Carnac. The whole region abounds in menhirs, megaliths and an amazing avenue of standing stones about 3 miles long.

The coastline's quite nice as well. All in all Brittany's a terrific place with something for everybody - make sure you try the crépes! (I hope that you're all impressed with the accent over the 'e', I always was a grammar freak!)

I'm very impressed with the accent Frank, is it lanky? ;-)

As for Brittany, then I would probably opt for somewhere Quimper - and travel west to the 'sticky out bits' and also east along the coast as far as Carnac and the megaliths. There are some great spots, should try to catch as many markets as you can - particular favourite is Concarneau.

If you are going out of season I suggest you treat yourselves to an ACSI discount card, http://uk.campingcard.com/ or http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/products.htm.

If you are not using Breton ports of entry you could try driving across country a little bit and see some of the inland region - Josselin is a good spot imo.

We've spent some good times at:

La Pointe Superbe near Chateaulin - 'simple' site run by a Yorkie no less

Les Embruns Le Pouldhu near Lorient - a much bigger site with pool and stuff [in ACSI discount list] - walkable to beach and bars and river marina. Very nice family run spot - 2007 is its 25th anniversary.

B-)

Lots to do on beach,coastal viewing etc.

Pick up a Michelin Guide which will give you up to date info.

Our favourites are Dinan, Quiberon peninsula, Pointe du Raz but there is a lot more! Also plenty of coastal Aires for cheap overnight stops.

Brittnay - ah, what a great area, and as for sites, well so many all over, perhaps somewhat dependant on what time of year you are going. We spent a couple of weeks in September a year or two back, with superb weather, empty sites, adn the only things on the road were motorhome (mostly french!). We find St MAlo interesting, and there's a good Municipal in the centre of Dinan, but seriously you could put a pin in the map and basically find a site and travel out from there to most parts - it's not really very big, and as an earlir contributor syas in many respects is a bit like Cornwall. We love the Parc NAtional Bretagne, and using the Plymouth to Roscoff Ferry, tend to cross that area on local roads to get south., rather than the dualled N12.

If you wish to get away from the beaches and the crowds, inland Brittany is worth exploring. Many miss it as the coast is glorious but inlland is worth a visit. One site I thoughly recommend is Camping Parc Merlin l'Enchanteur in the village of Loyat near Pleormel. It is quiet in a lovely old village, has a fishing lake on site, and on a cycle route ( completely traffic-free) into Pleormel, where there is a large supermarket, interesting buildings and even, I believe, an English Church. Worth thinking about.

Archived