Bruges

Peter Pan

At last we are off for our first venture abroad with a crossing to Dunkirk on 23rd for a 2 week trip. We are planning a tour of Belgium/Luxemburg taking in Bruges, ghent, Brussels/Waterloo then down into Luxemburg/the Ardenne and returning via Ypres.

We are not intending to book sites in advance but I would like some advice on where to stay in Bruges. We plan to stay for 3 nights and would like a site where we can walk/cycle into the town. I see the CC list 3 sites in their Europe 2 book.

Any advice gratefully received.

camping memling is quite nice,and close to brugge, not to far on flat roads, resturant on site, (if open this time of year) supermarket close by and mc donalds?.

don't forget there is a aire near the coach/train station.

memling is supposed to be Quieter than the other sites in the area, but i have only used memling and the aire.

pete

p.s have a great trip

breakaleg - 2007-09-08 3:15 PM

camping memling is quite nice,and close to brugge, not to far on flat roads, resturant on site, (if open this time of year) supermarket close by and mc donalds?.

don't forget there is a aire near the coach/train station.

memling is supposed to be Quieter than the other sites in the area, but i have only used memling and the aire.

pete

p.s have a great trip

Me too found it quiet and relaxing open all year round nice little walk into town .

Hi Peter

Not exactly the answer to your question, but have you come across this site in Ghent? It's reckoned to be the best in Belgium.

http://www.select-site.com/site-details.aspx?ID=31071

If you are taking bicycles there is a very easy, largely off-road cycle path into the centre. If no bikes the local bus service runs about every 20 minutes and the bus stop is about 200 yards from the site entrance.

Last time we visited the Aire near the station in Brugge (May 2006) it was crowded with, in the main, what appeared to be Italian 'tinker families' so we moved to an M.S.A. at Jabbeke for sleeping and drove into Brugge each day. Many be different 18 months on though!

Regards, Mike

Thanks everyone for your advice, Camping Memling looks like the spot for Bruges. Also Old Gits suggestion for Ghent (Camping Blaarmeersen) sounds ideal for a couple of nights.

Incidentally, according to beerintheevening.com users, ' 't Brugs Beertje' is the best pub in the world. I will report my findings.

Peter

Peter Pan - 2007-09-09 5:45 PM

Also Old Gits suggestion for Ghent (Camping Blaarmeersen) sounds ideal for a couple of nights.

Peter

Glad to help - we shall be there in a couple of weeks, so you know the advice is genuine.

Assuming your email is also genuine (not true in every case??) I've sent you a comprehensive description and maps of Blaarmeersen. I did it for a friend and still have the file so you may as well have it too.

Cheers

Dave

michele - 2007-09-09 11:23 PM

That would be very nice old git :D god it makes me laugh change that name :D :D I can't help putting it in the wrong sense. ;-)

File sent to your email address Michele. Glad the username makes you laugh - that was the idea.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Peter Pan - 2007-09-08 12:16 PM

At last we are off for our first venture abroad with a crossing to Dunkirk on 23rd for a 2 week trip. We are planning a tour of Belgium/Luxemburg taking in Bruges, ghent, Brussels/Waterloo then down into Luxemburg/the Ardenne and returning via Ypres.

We are not intending to book sites in advance but I would like some advice on where to stay in Bruges. We plan to stay for 3 nights and would like a site where we can walk/cycle into the town. I see the CC list 3 sites in their Europe 2 book.

Any advice gratefully received.

Any tips from your trip Peter Pan would be apreciated

• 3 weeks later...

rebbyvid

Reading through Motorhome chat forum, MMM magazine & Practical Motorhome mag, it seems that everyone has visited Bruge in the last few weeks so you should be able to find other comments about Bruge. However most of the other visitors apparently stayed on a new aire near the bus station so we did not see them.

We stayed at Camping Memling for 3 nights. We thought it was a great site although it was half empty so we had plenty of space. I believe it closed (for the season) in the middle of Oct. It has all the facilities + free Wifi, is quiet, shops & supermarkets within 5 min walk & 30 min walk, 10 min cycling from the centre of Bruge. Cycling is great in Bruge, the best way to get around. The only place to park a MH within the city is by the railway station.

What can I say about Bruge that has not already been said? Nothing except enjoy the atomsphere. The beer is fantastic, try T' Bruge Beertje just down from the main square to sample local draught brews (& 300 other bottled varieties)

We spent 2 weeks in Belgium & had a great time. It is a country of 2 contrasts, the north & the south and 2 peoples. We used sites from the Caravan Club book throughout, although the weather was changable so we specifically looked for hard standings after getting bogged down at Camping Blaarmeersen near Ghent.

We purchased a TomTom satnav before the trip & I must say it is probably the best £180 I ever spent. Do not leave these shores without satnav is my advice.

I think the single highlight of the visit for me was visiting Waterloo, a very moving experience if you are interested in the subject. Apparently they stage a re-enactment each June featuring thousands of participants. That may be a trip for the future.

Let me know if there is anything more specific you want to know.

Yes been before though satyed at Memling . This time didnt want to walk into the town as its hard with the children and walking for her legs .

So this time done a little research and stayed on the Aire as you can see they have night & day Aire we met Mandy &Andy & Judge and his wife we all happened to be there together . Glad you had a nice time if you go again staying on teh Aire is well worth it but as you can see 15e per night and 4e in the day stay. ;-)

Archived