CC just gets better.

Guest caraprof

Guest caraprof

We’ve just had a superb few days on in Norfolk/> and wanted to stay in one place for at least four days whilst we explored the immediate Broads/> area, mainly by cycle. The day before setting off I phoned the ‘Broadlands’ CC site near Wroxham and was delighted to find that they had plenty of spaces.

The site is, like most of them, superb. Beautifully maintained, lots of flowers, and immaculate and spacious showers blocks. What really impressed me however was the attention to detail that just seems to be getting better. Broadlands isn’t a large site and has just one sanitary block. On returning from our morning ride to have a bit of lunch in the ‘van I decided to stop off at the lavatories. Needless to say, it was cleaning time (around 1.30 p.m.) but as I walked in and saw that it was being cleaned the warden told me to use the spare loo. Now when I’d booked in and been given my key (there’s a problem with boaters sneaking in for a free shower) I’d noticed two doors with a Gents and a Ladies signs and also noticed that my key wouldn’t open them. It turns out that they are spare lavatories, which are only opened when the main block is closed for cleaning so that anyone who really needs the loo can use one. When the main block is reopened the two separate ones are cleaned and relocked until next time!

I just thought that this kind of attention to detail is superb. We moved up to Sandringham/> next and that’s another brilliant site but totally different being in woodland. That had two sanitary blocks and they were closed alternately so that there was always one open whilst the other was being cleaned.

I just feel that sites like this are ideal. Quiet, immaculate and most of all, safe and secure. There was one chap with an extension to his motorhome and every day he went out for the day and left his TV on display in this free-standing awning. Where else but on a CC site could you do that and still find it when you return?

All in all it was brilliant. The sun shone, we rolled out the awning and the reclining chairs and it was a bit like being in France/>/>! I felt a bit sorry for all those who break out in a rash if they have to pay for a site and must hunt around for a spot to ‘wild’ camp and cannot possibly end up with anywhere as safe and as pleasant. I think too much of my wife to subject her camping in a lay-by, in constant fear of being moved on or robbed.

Finally, this was my first visit to the Broads/>. The village/> of Horning/>, just a couple of miles a way is a delight, more like Venice/> than Norfolk/>/>, with water everywhere. We rented a boat for a day and other days cycled along country lanes where you couldn’t take a motorhome. All in all a superb week and the ‘Broadlands’ site is a credit to the CC.

Guest caraprof
Mike Parke - 2007-09-10 8:39 PM Caraprof, as a 'gude ole Norfolk Buoy' may I thank you for your pleasing comments on our Counrty. I kid you not but I do not particularly like the area we spend all our holidays abroad!!! >:-) >:-) Regards, Mike.

My main hols are always abroad but if you just want to slot in a week, abroad is too far away and I still enjoy the U.K.'s various very different regions. Despite my advancing years and despite having been to Norfolk before I'd never visited the Broads and I found them and their history fascinating. We also had a few hours in Norwich and went to the cathedral, which was nice.

I live in Lancashire but I don't have holidays there either!

Caraprof, I wonder if it is all a matter of 'the other man's grass' or 'familiarity breeds comtempt'? You have some superb areas in/near Lancashire, the Lune Valley, Pendle Hills etc. Not too far away are the glories of the Lake District. In Norfolk I can enjoy the North Norfolk coast, Cromer westwards to the Brancasters but the remainer I tend to avoid. That said though , as I am sure you will agree, there appears to be a lot in Norfolk to attract all you 'furriners'! Gone a bit from your main theme so I will say that I agree with you about the C'van Club sites. We never use any others when we take a 'short break' in England.

Regards, Mike

Guest caraprof

I think the reason is Mike, that we can reach most of the nearby beauty spots for a daytrip. I've spent loads of time in the Trough of Bowland, Lune Valley, Pendle and the Lakes etc. but they're an hour away so you go on a Sunday or whatever.

When you go away for a week I think that you like to feel that you're well away, not on the doorstep.

To be fair though, the Lakes is actually one place that I do occasionally go to for a week but the northern Lakes are quite a distance!

I also think that it's nice to go somewhere different. Norfolk for instance couldn't be more unlike my hilly part of the world!

Caraprof, your last passage sums it up, hills!! What passes for a 'hill' in Norfolk probably would not get a mention anywhere else! I do like hills and mountains which is, perhaps, why Cherry & I spend so many holidays in Ausria and Switzerland. (Where, as am aside, we are orf to next Friday 21/09. 'Yipee!!!!!)

Regards, Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must admit the area around Wroxham is lovely, we went about 2/3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, staying on the Broadlands site plus some others and the Sandringham site as well. I would've thought by now, though, that Wroxham would've been renamed 'Roys Town' seeing as this chap seems to own most of it when we were there! :-D

We had a few lovely paddles in the canoe at a little village just before Wroxham, can't remember the name but it was very pretty and we enjoyed going past all the lovely quaint old boat 'cottages' along the banks, watching the dragon flies on the water and being chased by a family of swans! :D

Probably the village of Horning, which is in between the Broadlands site and Wroxham. It's on the left as you drive to Wroxham.

it's an absolute delight with water everywhere. Every house or settlement seemed to have its own private little canal leading off the river and sometimes opening up into a marina serving a cluster of homes.

Delightful place!

Horning: delightful place indeed! George Formby had a riverside home there for many years. A nice place is the carpark Wood Bastwick side of the river then walking the south bank are far as the broad,( who's name I've forgotten!), which has been dammed from the river ,(having been purged of all pollutants), and watching the wildlife from the hide. Today (yesterday) would have been the ideal day to enjoy it.

Mike

Archived