Caceres, Spain - ACSI

Sparkle

The Ciudad Caceres site was reviewed in the Oct 2008 issue of MMM and we went there a few days ago on the way home from Portugal.

It is in the ACSI scheme, at the cost of 15 euros a night and is a site for all others to model them selves upon.

Each pitch has its own toilet/shower room with on pitch water top up and outside sink. It is a great idea, perhaps a bit more work for the owners but the knowledge that you're next to your own facilities if not using your own in your motorhome is lovely - not having to skip across the site in your dressing gown in the early hours.....

The pitches furthest away from the entrance seem easier to get onto for the larger motorhomes, and some are very shaded, whilst others although with trees aren't, providing much appreciated sunshine in the colder months.

All in all we found this to be the best site over our 2 weeks away, having spent most of the nights on ACSI sites. The staff were very welcoming (unilke some places) and we'd return again without a doubt.

I do think more sites should look into the ACSI deal, as it does seem very popular around the coastal areas in Spain and Portugal but the interior ones certainly in these two countries are lacking a bit.... and both have so much to offer on the touring front.

Hi Kathy

Can you recommend any other sites in Spain/portugal,? We have the acsi book this year for the first time We are planning to come Maytobeg July. Prefer sites were one dosen't pay for Pools/ Kids play area, etc which we do not use.Like to be within walking distance of something of interest, as do not ride a bike (did that in my teens , don't have the balance now, TOO OLd)

Read with interest about your new van, and sale of the old one. Hope you both enjoyed the new one.

Pauline

We stayed at the Cacares campsite, it was lovely. We also went into the town on the bus. The walled town is very well kept.

We got lost trying to find the bus stop, caught sight of the bus (with the same driver as on the way in) He saw is but we lost him, asked someone in very halting Spanish. We eventually found the right bus stop, and, amazingly, it was the same bus driver again. he couldn't have been more pleased that we'd got on the bus. He had no English, we had no Spanish but we understood him very well.

PJay - 2009-02-16 1:36 PM

Hi Kathy

Can you recommend any other sites in Spain/portugal,? We have the acsi book this year for the first time We are planning to come Maytobeg July. Prefer sites were one dosen't pay for Pools/ Kids play area, etc which we do not use.Like to be within walking distance of something of interest, as do not ride a bike (did that in my teens , don't have the balance now, TOO OLd)

Read with interest about your new van, and sale of the old one. Hope you both enjoyed the new one.

Pauline

Hi Pauline

We're gradually trying to see as much of Spain as we can and have done a few sites now. As far as the no kids thing you might find that hard going, as a lot of the Spanish love camping and have permanent pitches, and although you may find they all have kids play area (check the codes in each site for services on each site as they do differ) I have always found that the most noise/ etc comes from drunken adults!

In Portugal we used a lot of the Orbitur sites - which from our experience of the ones we used most had grass pìtches and no set pitch allowance, so you just pitch up to the nearest electric box you can reach.

The no grass proved to be a bit hazardous in Feb, but as the year goes on I bet its lovely. Every welcome we had from Orbitur staff was great and the sites well maintained (the only problem we had was no hot water in the Madalena site near Porto ACSI 1417).

Ones we stayed at in Portugal:

1406 - near Guincho beach, few restaurants within walking distance but great for visiting Sintra

1416 - outside Nazarre. walking distance to town

1418 - Playa Mira, couple of minutes walk to beach, quite a small site.

Other Spanish ones we can recommend:

1312 - Aranjuez, ideal for visiting the town which is beautiful, set on the river side with water buses and a mini train.

1400 - Cordoba - set quite a way out of Cordoba, but near a small village within walking distance.

Toledo is a great city which you should schedule a visit to at some point, and we wildcamped just down from the old town :

There is a camp site El Greco which is very good, and a bus runs from it into the old town if you don't fancy wild camping.

There is a new site in Calpe 1321 near us which is within easy walking distance of the town. Not too pictureseque setting for the actual site but Calpe is a lovely base to explore from.

Hope this helps

Kathy

• 1 month later...
For those who don't want to travel so far into Spain there is a site in Catalunya on the Bay of Roses, L'Amfora, which has some very large pitches with their own facilities. These pitches are furthest away from the noisier part of the site i.e. the swimming pools and entertainment so they are quiet and also well shaded. Last time I was there the restaurant was very reasonable; 3 courses and wine for 12€ but that was two years' ago. There is also a good shop, internet access was 5€ for two weeks and there is direct access to the fabulous beach. It used to be an ACSI site but no longer although discounts are given early and late season. These pitches are certainly not cheap but we fitted two m/homes (my Cheyenne and a Chieftain) very comfortably, both with extended awnings, still with loads of room to lounge about. I don't know about the sanitation blocks but at the pools women were waiting to clean the toilets after every visit!

Patricia

The site you mention is in the Alan Rodgers Book (2008) They do special Senior Citizens specials, accept Camping Chs, but don't take Credit cards, .Not sure if we will be in that area this year, but we go as the mood takes us, (and the weather) Plan to go beg May to Beg July, travelling through France, visiting friends on the way, ( Normandy sth Brittany and Haute Vienne (between Potiers and Limoges)

Thanks for your reply

Pauline

Archived