Camping in Turkey

jeanandian

Last summer,2012, my husband and I, were trekking in Turkey.

We followed the turquoise coast, which is totally stunning, and walked the Lycian Way over a well marked mountain path, through small hamlets, untouched by time.

Although many people have walked these paths you cannot help feel you are on a great exploration.

One day, while on a provision stop in a small town called Kinik, which also is of great interest (Xanthos is situated above the town and dates back to 1,200 B.C. with history around every corner), we stopped to drink cay (tea to you and me) in a small lokanta, and got talking to the owner. He spoke good English, saw that we were walkers, and told us of an English couple who had a fruit farm in the Xanthos valley.

He had their contact details, because he had helped them buy some turkey chicks (birds, not women!).

At this point in our fantastic journey we were looking for a place to stay for a few nights rest.

After a brief phone call, Simon & Michelle came to collect us from the lokanta and took us to their farm. It takes your breath away!

It overlooks Saklikent Gorge and the white mountains.

They had their own tents set up and we camped amongst apple and peach orchards, which we were free to pick and eat.

It was quiet solitude. Paradise!

Our alarm clock in the morning was 'Gengis' the cockerel.

Fresh eggs from the chickens and turkeys for breakfast were absolutely delicious!

I essence we had a great time and wish we could have stayed longer.

Simon & Michelle couldn't do enough to help.

We intend to go back this year and I'd recommend it to anyone. either to use as a base, or for a longer stay!

The farm is aptly named 'Eden Lodge'. They don't advertise, but keep busy by word of mouth! If anybody else is interested, then they can be contacted on lordwizlon@yahoo.co.uk , but don't tell too many people, as I wouldn't want the tranquility spoiled.

Have photos if anyone is interested.

Archived