Campsite and vet - near boulogne/calais please

bobgarden

We are currently enjoying a winter break in Spain and are due to return to UK via tunnel on 12th March 2009

The camp site we had intended to use has now closed not just for the winter but for ever. (Manoir de Senleques). This is unfortunate as they had a good relationship with an english speaking vet in the Boulogne Area. As yet we have not found another suitable site. Not many are open before Easter. The issue is more complex as we have our dog with us and therefore a fixed time frame after the necessary vetinary procedures.

Can anyone recommend a vet and a campsite not to far from the tunnel please?

Bob

Bob

Gaby's place seems to almost be the only site around the channel ports that was open all year. I found this one on the ASCI website http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/nord-pas-de-calais/strait-of-dover/campsite-la-fontaine-des-clercs-111844/ I also thought this one was open all year but as always its best to check! http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/Bouscarel.htm

David

We use a vet at Ardres, about 20km south of Calais (don't mix it up with Andres!). The vet is called:

CLINIQUE VETERINAIRE DU CAMP DU DRAP D'OR

They are very nice and the vets speak very good English, we usually contact them a few days before we are due to return and check their opening times for the day we want to go as they have open surgeries. The cost in June 2008 was 74 euros, and the last time in September was around 85 euros for 2 dogs plus a poorly rat!

If you got to Calais itself you will probably end up paying more, the closer you get to the ports etc the more it generally costs, for example the last time we used one in Boulogne Sur Mer in 2007 it cost 107 euros!

vets thread

As for campsites, we sometimes use the Castel one at Guines but it will be closed in March, so you might have to use an aire, there are plenty about and they should be quiet then so shouldn't have a problem finding space, alternatively use the parking at Cite Europe which is just a short drive from the tunnel, or the parking at the ferry port, both are fine for stopping overnight, we've done it loads of times without a problem.

I use the vet at Pont de l'Arche, stay the night there and then travel up to Dieppe or Calais. If it is Calais I usually overnight at the Le Touquet aire. The vet charges me about 35€ but I supply my own Frontline. I usually phone to make an appointment but it is not necessary. Alternatively I use a vet in the Massif Centrale.

If you want to locate another vet look in the Pages Jaunes. This will given phone details and a location map but as said above the nearer to Calais the more expensive. I was really taken to the cleaners at a vet near Le Touquet some years ago so I always ask the charges first if I visit a vet for the first time.

• 4 weeks later...

Try this site. Owners speak great english and a a real laugh. They will organise the vets for you as his wife also works as a receptionist at the vets in St Omer. It's near Calais by the way.

http://www.campinglachaumiere.com/

On second thoughts may not be much use to you as I just looked on their site and it doesn't open 'till April 1st. But a very good site to bear in mind for the future.

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion. Its already committed to memory (hard drive) for future use.

Have sent the site an email in the vain hope they can help.

However Camping Bal Parc appears to be open and is close to the Vet at Ardres (CLINIQUE VETERINAIRE DU CAMP DU DRAP D'OR) mentioned by Mel B above.

So I am nearly spoiled for choice.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Bob

Archived