Caravan Club Dog Survey

Tell

Guest Tracker

I don't see anything wrong with charging extra for more than two dogs - after all it will affect very few people - and probably far less than compulsory EHU affected.

Multiple dogs are a pain on any site and we always avoid them like the plague because experience has taught us that they invariably bark a lot, being a pack, and even if they don't get taken out for a 'walk' after dark - which many do - they still urinate everywhere and it's not nice on a grass pitch where kids are expected to play the following week in complete ignorance of what has been left behind.

So, I'm an unreasonable grumpy old man but I foolishly expect other people to behave as responsibly as I do - and if they don't - just kick the inconsiderate ones out.

The survey is only meant to be completed by current members of the CC so that rules me out. If they do start charging for dogs then I certainly won't use their main sites (should I choose to join again), even if the charge wouldn't be applicable for the number of dogs I had.

Its gaulling that again the few who cause problems are likely to spoil it for those of us who keep our dogs quiet, make sure they don't bother people and are responsible (ie cleaning up etc, not letting them wee/mess on the areas where others are likely to sit/play etc). However, if I ever did go on a CC site again, and there is grass at the side of me/on my pitch, I would expect to be able to use it to sit out on WITH my dogs and not be made to feel guilty about doing so.

We had the unfortunate experience of using the site at Bristol a couple of years ago and were made to feel extremely uncomfortable right from when we first arrived and especially when sitting out with our dogs on the grass next to our pitch, they were playing/rolling around with their toys, not causing a nuisance or running around at all, not making a mess etc just enjoying the sunshine as we were, but it was obvious from the wardens that they did not like it. When just walking to the exits to get off the site with the dogs to do their 'business', we felt very unwelcome - we were expected to either keep the dogs cooped up in the van all the time or take them off site. Needless to say, despite the lovely/convenient location of the site, we have not returned.

For those that are not aware, on a CC site I believe you are still NOT supposed to leave your dogs in the van whilst you go off elsewhere, ie into Bristol etc - you are supposed to take them with you. It is an absolutely stupid rule and one which, I admit, we have never adhered to and we have never ever had any complaints about our dogs whilst we've been away.

We used to have 3 dogs and they were not a problem on site and when, prior to that, we only had 2 smaller dogs, they used to like to have a little 'howl' in the morning when we went to visit the toilet block - it lasted all of 20 seconds if that, starting just after we exited the van, and anyone walking by used to be in stitches as the sight of these 2 little souls trying to howl away like wolves!

What a nice post Mel and well explained. Personally, the older I get the more I love my dogs and the more I hate the human race. (Well most of them anyway!!)

Where I spend a lot of time we are not surrounded by people (Except occassional weekends in the Summer) so we allow our dogs to bark at anything or anyone coming down our road, when a dog barks it is telling the other members of the pack something. There are in fact at least ten types of bark which should be recognisable by any human but of course many of them are so dim they don't have a clue.

I shall definately avoid that CC site in Bristol too!!!

Thanks Losos. :-D

I know what you mean about the different types of barks - we recognise them all and the squeaks, looks, hints, movements etc. Our little Lily monster has a particular look about her when she's about to create mischief! And when she's running around after Romy but can't catch her we get a high pitched squeaky toy type bark, really funny!

When Romy is unsure about something, or feeling a bit 'anxious' she sits right on her bottom with her back lets sticking out and starts to waggle her back feet!!!

283509387_Lilymonster.jpg.3916a2e31aed326744eab68673d8078f.jpg

1969275155_Romywagglyfeet.jpg.9e0ce7eeb7349bffb6d282b351410604.jpg

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-10-04 7:52 PM

Hi Rich, no it doesn't, but it does ask how long you've been a member ...

Anyway, I've done it too ...

And I told them how long I had been a member!

They didn't ask how long I hadn't been a member and they would of course have no interest in asking why anyone is no longer a member!

Mel B - 2009-10-03 10:41 PM Our little Lily monster has a particular look about her when she's about to create mischief! And when she's running around after Romy but can't catch her we get a high pitched squeaky toy type bark, really funny! When Romy is unsure about something, or feeling a bit 'anxious' she sits right on her bottom with her back lets sticking out and starts to waggle her back feet!!!

They both look like lovely dogs. The great thing about having two is comparing their characters and mannerisms (as you have clearly done) and we've found that with two dogs the interaction between them is so fascinating. One day when I've mastered this digital camera thing I'll post up some pics of our two (Both Newfies BTW) Oh sorry if this is going 'off topic' (Well the thread title did mention dogs didn't it!!!)

Losos - 2009-10-03 9:22 PM

What a nice post Mel and well explained. Personally, the older I get the more I love my dogs and the more I hate the human race. (Well most of them anyway!!)

Where I spend a lot of time we are not surrounded by people (Except occassional weekends in the Summer) so we allow our dogs to bark at anything or anyone coming down our road, when a dog barks it is telling the other members of the pack something. There are in fact at least ten types of bark which should be recognisable by any human but of course many of them are so dim they don't have a clue.

I shall definately avoid that CC site in Bristol too!!!

Is that " SO DIM " just about a KNOWLEDGE of DOGS, or DOES it include EVERYTHING ? ;-)

I have never understood site owners' logic of charging for dogs with the expectation that their owners will suddenly become responsible because they have paid a fee. I might be a cynic but in my experience many people these days think that when they have paid for something that means that their mess, rubbish etc. is no longer their own responsibility but that of the person they have paid. This seems to defeat the object and as Mel points out penalises the responsible owner for the behaviour of a few.

In my case I have never understood how my dog knows when the grass is not to be used, i.e. on site, and when it can be used, i.e. as soon as the dog walk is reached or off site, even for a wee. So far she has never let me down thank goodness despite sometimes very long walks before we get to somewhere suitable.

However, I do accept that if a dog walk is provided then the site is entitled to charge a fee. After all that land cannot be used for any other amenity and someone has the very unpleasant task of emptying the bins AND clearing up after the very few.

I took part in the survey and made the point that I had personally never seen any fouling on site but certainly in the dog walk and the noise that some parents allow their children to create (and the mess unsupervised children make in the sanitary blocks) far outweighs the odd bark that I have ever heard. Still, whatever happened to live and let live?

Guest Tracker
Patricia - 2009-10-06 10:51 PM

Still, whatever happened to live and let live?

He died of a broken heart about the same time that his close allies 'common sense' and 'personal responsibility' were executed!

I have completed the survey and will also cease to be a member should they begin to make a charge for dogs.  I agree that people tend to think that if they have 'paid for it' they don't have to clean up after their dog.  Also, I don't like having to clean up my pitch after the previous occupant and I would resent this even more if I had been charged for my dog.  It is up to the wardens to correct the mindset of the few anti-social dog owners and also the parents of anti-social children.  However, it is unreasonable to expect that a dog will never bark, just as it would be unreasonable to expect that children will never shout or squeal.  It just becomes a problem if it continues unabated.  After all, the job of a dog owner or parent is to train / educate their charges to make them valued members of society.

• 4 months later...

DOn't know anything about the survery although long-standing memebers of CC. However, clearly the CC wish to find out members views, and they are only doing what any club should do......

This is likely to result in very divided views, proabably quite polarised, I woukd think!

However, for my thoughts, I would suggest there is a reasonable view on either side, and not being dog owners, can see both sides. What I do object to, and this goes not only for dogs, is that some woners seem totally unable to control them, and cannot seem to understand that we do not wish to see the mess they often produce,and the owners cannot be botherer to clear up.

My gripe really is the the owners, however, not the dogs....!

Archived