Caravan Club site in Edinburgh

Bailey

I want to visit Edinburgh at the beginning of July and wondered if I have to be a member of the Caravan Club to stay in their site in Edinburgh for a couple of nights. I will only be in Scotland for 2 weeks so wasn't going to join if I didn't have to. Can anyone recommend any other sites near Edinburgh.

Thanks

You don't have to be a CC member to stay at this sight but it will cost an extra £7 per night if you are not a member.

Iit is up to you but for less than the extra cost of 6 nights as a non-member staying on CC sites you could take out membership. Amongst other things this will enable you to stay on all CC sites throughout the UK at the members' prices for a year, you will receive a comprehensive book with details of all sites including 5 unit CL sites specifically for members and a reasonable monthly magazine.

Aileen, this may not be relevant to you but something to bear in mind if you do go to the Edinburgh CC site there is no longer any public transport into the city.

I was told about this recently and the CC website appears to support this. Perhaps recent users of the site may be able to inform better. I seem to remember it was quite a stretch into the city.

Martyn

• 1 month later...
LordThornber - 2010-06-29 3:03 PM

Aileen, this may not be relevant to you but something to bear in mind if you do go to the Edinburgh CC site there is no longer any public transport into the city.

I was told about this recently and the CC website appears to support this. Perhaps recent users of the site may be able to inform better. I seem to remember it was quite a stretch into the city.

Martyn

Have just returned from Edinburgh CC site, there is a bus service into the city it,s a 20 min walk to the bus stop, but better still Graham Pender runs a mini-bus service from the site to the city centre every 1/2 hour he will also give you a commentary along the way including a photo stop at Hogwarts (Fettes ) he also runs buses to and from the Tattoo. It has been suggested via the comments book on site that the CC club should advise members of his service on their web site.

(lol)

• 2 weeks later...
As well as confirming what has already been said about the mini-bus service direct from the site into the centre of Edinburgh, there is public transport available. The change is that there used to be a bus stop outside the site but this no longer exists. However, a leisurely stroll (15-20 mins) will bring you to a bus stop where you have two choices of bus. One will take you directly in to the City Centre (No 27) or one that will take you via Ocean Drive (No 16) where you will be able to do a tour of the Royal yacht Brittania (well worth while) and there is also a Shopping Mall with Restaraunts so you could make it a good half day trip. On the local buses you can pay £3 per adult for a day rider ticket, good value. The club site is 5 star and is excellent. Across from the site, down a footpath through a small wooded area and you are on a lovely wide stretch of promenade.

Archived