Coastal Sites in the Vendee

empress

My son and his family live with in reasonable reach of the Vendee coast. They would like us to stay at either Les Sables d' Olonne, La Tranche-sur-Mer or Brem sur Mer, so that they can come for day trips to visit us. These places suit their children, having decent beaches! Can anyone suggest which of these might suit us. Whether one town stands out from the others. Sites within easy walk of shops, cafes and I imagine the beach (the latter not so important) would be a bonus. I have looked up sites but what I really want to know which town seems the most pleasant.

We hope to be there mid June, that is if this wretched government leaves us enough money to move our wheels!

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Empress

Have been to both. Favour La Tranche especially C. La Baie D'Aunis. Good quality site with swimming pool and very well kept has some holiday statics in separate area. Quite a few Brits go there every year and leave caravans over winter on a storage site. Good mix of pitches with access through gate to beach where there is every type of water sport. Town about 15 minutes walk along the beach which is huge or a bit quicker by the main road. Good choice of inexpensive restaurants La Forge for steak, Pizza Rico for local and Italian but may have to book as it is used by locals. Buy local wine from Cellar just off market square. Very large street market on Tuesdays, large SuperU about 20 minutes walk Town quite small but friendly and has small shops. Need a big satellite dish for TV. There is an on-site restaurant which was very good the first time we went but poor in 2006. It depends who runs it!. If it is OK it is ideal as you can get take-aways including frites! Les Sables d'Olonne is a ribbon development with a long beach and a lot bigger than La Tranche. More choice of restaurants, stayed at Les Rosas, a good quality site but pitches rather small. Another place worth considering is St Gilles Croix de Vie. Nice cosy town on both sides of the river. Good markets, shops and restaurants. Lovely beach. We stayed at Bahamas Club, a sister site to Las Rosas. Both are well equiped with pools, shops and a bar.

Thank you very much Wills Wagon and Judge Mental just the sort of advice we needed.

We'll look out for you Roy - you'll know us when you see 3 fat ladies wandering about or sitting outside a Rapido with a bottle!

Empress

Guest JudgeMental

also, "Les Ecureuils" the one at "Jard sum mere" is a very nice site. there are a few sites with the same name in Vendee region

http://www.camping-ecureuils.com/

this is a very nice site within walking distance of port and market, less commercial then bigger sites further North, we have been many times when the children were younger.

Archived