Distances between vans - UK sites

Lizzy

Is there a required safety distance between each unit on UK sites? Some photos of sites who advertise seem to cram 'um in a bit! I like peace and quiet so do not want to be disturbed by the neighbouring folks early in the morning/late at night! ;-)

Cram em in certainly applied to the private site we stayed on over the Bank Holiday down in Tenby. From a distance it looked just like one of those refugee camps you see on the telly. I should imagine the local Health & Safety regs. are pretty strict on such matters but as usual profits come first. These sites must have an annual inspection but no spot checks by the look of it. If a fire had started in one of units the whole place would have gone up in flames. Complaining would be a waste of time and as everywhere else seemed to be just as bad no good moving. I suppose it will take a mishap of some sorts before any action is taken and then as usual it will be to late. Howard.

So a letter to the Health and Safety in Tenby then? We have to begin voting with our feet! I am already visiting sites on our tours around the UK - maybe we should all report the lack of enforcement to the powers that be? It is NO good waiting until the worst happens ........ look at how the camp sites affected by fire abroad were wiped out recently :-( We all have to take some responsibility for this - do we have any H&S exs on board here?

Steady on Lizzy ( I hereby plead guilty to double standards ). If such a campaign were started a lot of people would be unable to take camping breaks at peak periods. Due to the popularity of this type of holiday more sites would seem to be the answer. This is not as simple as it sounds however as most local authoritiessseem dead set against any more campsites in their areas. Of course if permission for a landfill site in a popular beauty spot is required, no problem. Another cause of concern is that a few of our favorite sites are starting to move towards static caravans which from the site owners point of view makes sense as they have a guaranteed income whatever the weather. Safety issues apart, overcrowding does have its upsides as I was able to lay in bed on Saturday night and watch match of the day on the caravans t.v. next door commentry and all. As Brian stated earlier, the best thing to do is to use one of the club sites, the problem here being you have to book well ahead which does not always suit us due to unexpected commitments and much prefering to go on the spur of the moment. Can,t have it all though . Howard.

Howard. If a Fire started there would be a hell of a lot of people who would have no need for another holiday on earth. dont flaunt Health and Safety, i know they can be a pain in the neck but sometimes it is for our own good. I have just spent the best part of my working day reviewing Risk Assessments, and there were some thigs I had forgotten about. A health and Safety officer has far more authority than a Police Officer. If a Caravan Camping site crams them in, they dont care about risk!!!!!!!!!!.. David.

David. While I agree entirely with you on the principles of Health & Safety issues I don,t quite see eye to eye with Colins view. Let me put it this way. If, after driving all day I arrived at my chosen camp site only to find it overcrowded and no other sites available, I would choose to stay. I,m not saying I would be happy about it, far from it, but given that the only alternative would be to drive back home i,d be inclined to lump it. Howard.

Watch match of the day ....... not even at home :-)))) but what else did you see ? The other option is to park up behind lorries in a lay-by - we have a lot in Northants! How is that they can but motorhomes are frowned upon? Then if asked by the local Bobby we can explain that in our view the local sites are over-crowded ........... we all need to be aware - forewarned is forearmed! I have a dread of fire, in the house or on hols - in a theatre I always check that the firedoors are useable ;-) nearlly got thrown out once as pushing the firedoor - which was locked! set off the alarms - but a few quiet words high up solved that problem .......... Why be wise after the event

• 3 months later...
This summer we did a long tour in our van and generally found sites to be well laid out and spacious. One bucked the trend however and we found ourselves pitched so close to the next van that we couldn't put our awning out, even just for the slightest bit of shade. The gap next door to us on the other side was then filled with a caravan, and by the time they'd got their car alongside the van we were just 3 feet away from them. We don't take a TV in our van because we like peace and quiet - and were treated to the sound of big band music from one side and X Factor from the other. Getting our 5 year old daughter to sleep with that racket was not easy. Thankfully it was just for one night and we won't be going back. C&CC and CC club sites have their merits!

we have a smallish camper, and often find ourselves being crammed into a tiny pitch, or if it's a free for all find that we are surrounded by caravans+4x4+awning+windbreak, with occasionally a dog marking his territory [ie our van], - and worst offenders have probably been the C clubs. I did think that the UK had a minimum distance as part of fire regs of 20 feet - 6 metres, but that is habitat to habitat and so doesn't prevent the overcrowding mentioned [whinged about] above. B-)

• 3 weeks later...
It's a bit late for this year's season, but the New Year dawns! I don't know what unit you have and what facilities you require, BUT how about the CL's? These are Certified Locations that are in both the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravanning books - maximum of 5 units. They have always been quiet when we have used them, and though there is no 20' rule, the fields are so large, it is generally academic. Give'em a try! B-)

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-08-30 11:44 AM Of course if permission for a landfill site in a popular beauty spot is required, no problem. Howard.[/QUOTE] Hello Howard, Presumably you have a specific site in mind. Be assured that in virtually all cases getting permission for a landfill site anywhere is very much a problem. Councils are committed to re-cycling and incineration and away from Landfill and the NIMBY brigade make Commercial Landfill Site location a very long and difficult process. Just as an aside many of the old Landfill sites are re-landscaped and handed back to Councils for recreational or agricultural areas a few even for campsites (Not the toxic waste sites though which have to be long term monitored for seepage and emmissions.). Regards and many years in Waste Management, Mike.

Hi, I know this was directed specifically at UK sites, but none the less, if there are rules regarding the spacing of MH/Caravans how do the Aires get over the problem especially if it is to stop the possible spread of fire, I do actually think that it could be very usefull for those of us that prefer to travel around and perhaps only make overnight stops, if some of the campsites made a area available that was specifically for motorhomes and marked out similar to a coach parking area I know this would mean parking relatively close together but it would make more spaces available for just over night or short stop overs ? they could also halve their fees ??lol ? perhaps

When I had a caravan many years ago I used CL sites whenever I could. What was truly bizarre was how I could go out for the day leaving mine as the only van in a 6 acre field and return in the afternoon to find a new arrival pitched within a few metres of mine, the other six acres still being vacant. Weird, and it happenend not infrequently. Always caravans, never motorhomes. (Motorhome drivers being too well brought up I expect....only joking caravanners). It's one of the reasons for buying a motorhome this time. If it happens, I can just start the engine and move to the other side of the field. I like to be sociable around the site, but prefer not to roost like a penguin at night! Bob

There is no legal requirement regarding the spacing of caravans. The CC and CCC recommend 6 metres as Brian has already stated. I agree with the point that on CLs some members do park alongside when there is acres of space. My recommendation is to move on if a site is very crowded to give you adequate spacing.

It would appear that legislation came into force last Autumn that requires premises where the public are admitted to, have to now do Fire Risk Assessments and Fire Officers have to come round on a regular basis ( Possibly 12 Months ) to inspect these. I would expect this to cover Caravan Sites and to inspect what precautions such as Extinguishers and Sand Buckets / Water are in place. No doubt when original planning permission was granted, a set number of spaces was applied for, and granted. The problem is the greedy Operator trying to make more money in the school holidays. David

[QUOTE]Usinmyknaus - 2007-01-02 4:31 PM When I had a caravan many years ago I used CL sites whenever I could. What was truly bizarre was how I could go out for the day leaving mine as the only van in a 6 acre field and return in the afternoon to find a new arrival pitched within a few metres of mine, the other six acres still being vacant. Weird, and it happenend not infrequently. Always caravans, never motorhomes. (Motorhome drivers being too well brought up I expect....only joking caravanners). It's one of the reasons for buying a motorhome this time. If it happens, I can just start the engine and move to the other side of the field. I like to be sociable around the site, but prefer not to roost like a penguin at night! Bob[/QUOTE] Funny how that happens, we find the same thing on car parks, no matter how I try I always end up surrounded by other vehicles, like the 'van is magnetised?? B-)

[QUOTE]Mike Chapman - 2006-12-31 2:21 PM [QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-08-30 11:44 AM Of course if permission for a landfill site in a popular beauty spot is required, no problem. Howard.[/QUOTE] Hello Howard, Presumably you have a specific site in mind. Be assured that in virtually all cases getting permission for a landfill site anywhere is very much a problem. Councils are committed to re-cycling and incineration and away from Landfill and the NIMBY brigade make Commercial Landfill Site location a very long and difficult process. Just as an aside many of the old Landfill sites are re-landscaped and handed back to Councils for recreational or agricultural areas a few even for campsites (Not the toxic waste sites though which have to be long term monitored for seepage and emmissions.). Regards and many years in Waste Management, Mike. [/QUOTE]Hi Mike. This does not include landfill sites as such, but there are two occasions that have affected both myself and my neighbours that might explain why I mentioned the subject on this thread. Bearing in mind that the colour of our roof tiles, and materials used when replacing doors and windows comes under strict local goverment regulations, you can imagine our dismay when playing fields to the front of our propertys were given over to small factory units, and a large area of natural woodland to the rear taken away for use by the Forestry Commission. The NIMBY brigade may have some success re. this matter, but for people like myself, living in areas lacking political or social clout, then it seems planning authorities feel entitled to do exactly as they please, regardless of any protests or petitions we put forward. A jaundiced view, could be, but living in a semi rural area, I feel there were plenty of other places far more suitable, and while I understand the problems you face when making these decisions, other locations, in my view, would have been far more appropriate. There you are Mike. Not asking much, only that you perform a miracle and please all of the people all of the time. Howard.

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-08-29 11:45 PM Cram em in certainly applied to the private site we stayed on over the Bank Holiday down in Tenby. .[/QUOTE] We stayed at a nice cl site just outside Tenby (the coppins). They could probably get a dozen more units on site, but being a cl site 5 only. I will say the standard of this site was very high, hard standing/ hookup/ toilets / shower/ on the bus route all for the princely sum of £8 a night, some commercial sites should take a look at how people who have a genuine interest in catering for their customers do it.

Hi Chris and Brenda. Sorry if this is going off thread, but I had to reply to your comments re. the "Coppins" (on which I agree), but more to the point, it reminds me of my Grandmothers birthplace at Coppit Hall. Her parents came over from Ireland at the end of the last century looking for work, and my Grandmother was born in one of the small cottages set back from the beach on the other side of the road. We have the original photos, now sold as postcards in Saundersfoot, showing my Great Grandfather pushing coal trams across what is now the main car park opposite the harbour, and though this side of the family moved away from the area a long time ago, it still remains one of our favorite destinations. Hope you don,t mind me sharing old memories. Howard.

Hi Howard We walked down past the old winding house (the incline) that used to wind the coal wagons up the hill, it brings you out at the car park. We have only visit Saundersfoot in the winter but plan a week in the summer(maybe). It is a truly friendly and beautiful place.

Archived