Electricity debate

Administrator

My view is this, if and I mean if, we all took a sensible balanced approach to using electricity then metering wouldn't be necessary. Although for the barmpots I refer to below it might be a good idea...

Take this Christmas for example, the number of awnings we walked past with fan heaters blasting away was staggering. Yes you could hear them, I'm not kidding. Even worse was that a fair number of those with said heaters on that were not occupied!!! Madness.

Martyn

We rarely use hook-ups, but when we do then we don't tend to waste electricity, I never like to waste things just because they are free/unmetered, but I know people who have no such quarms and will happely burn as much energy as you give them, so maybe there is a case for meters.

Interesting to note that CC have no intention of installing them, as I have seen several people post their disatisfaction with having to pay for electricity wheither they use it or not.

Overall, I would say that the vast majority of us use our electric hook-ups sensibly and conservatively. Not many of us would leave heaters on when not in the caravan, purely from the safety point of view. After all the caravan is a relatively small area and can be warmed up pretty quickly on returning to it. In this country we tend to run the fridge on electricity, but in France we tend to run it on gas due to the lower ampage available on the hookup.

• 2 weeks later...

As motorhomers, I would say we probably use less electricity on site than caravanners........especially as we regularly take the motorhome off site during the day. I am sure the cost to us would be considerably less than we pay on an 'inclusive' basis.

It is some time since I visited any sites where meters were installed, but on the occasions I did, our usage was very samll, and afr below any - what was then, separate - fixed charge for one nights usage.

Whne we visit france, many of teh sites there do in effect charge by some degree of usage, althoughy this is on amperage limits, rather than total usage over the stay!

I have to say however, that as we are away in the motorhome at the present time, I am amazed at the number of these Halogen heaters on full power in unoccupied awnings, whilst presumably the owners also have their centrsal heating on whilst htey are sitting enjoying the comforts inside their vans.

• 2 months later...

I Like electric hook ups but don't waste it. I like to watch certain Programmes on the telly also prefer to use my electric kettle. Its better when our granddaughter is with us as her hair is very long and I need the hair dryer.

We rarely use the fire etc as we are usually warm enough it has to be very cold before we pop the fire on.

• 4 months later...

I am sure I read that it cannot be metered on a site because each site would then have to act as a utility company and that is prohibitively expensive and fraught with legal problems.

Can you imagine trying to get someone to read your meter when you arrive and when you leave??

But if it were to happen I think it would have a huge benefit for leisure battery development linked to solar panels and dual/triple charging for our vehicles.

A nice quiet little generator would be popular as well - then "Just say no!" to electric hook up.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

CliveH - 2008-08-31 10:05 PM

I am sure I read that it cannot be metered on a site because each site would then have to act as a utility company and that is prohibitively expensive and fraught with legal problems.

Can you imagine trying to get someone to read your meter when you arrive and when you leave??

But if it were to happen I think it would have a huge benefit for leisure battery development linked to solar panels and dual/triple charging for our vehicles.

A nice quiet little generator would be popular as well - then "Just say no!" to electric hook up.

(lol) (lol) (lol)

You get your Meter read when you arive and when you leave the site in Spain where we are so why not here, same rules surely

Oh it would work in Spain Syd but not here because we would need someone to oversee the meter reading. B-)

I am serious about my reading somewhere that the rules in the UK do not allow for "sub-selling" electricity as that would make the campsite come under the utility provider legislation.

I have tried to google it but no joy so far.

I am sure the technology could cope - not sure our infrastructure is up to it though! (lol)

CliveH - 2008-09-01 2:33 PM

Oh it would work in Spain Syd but not here because we would need someone to oversee the meter reading. B-)

I am serious about my reading somewhere that the rules in the UK do not allow for "sub-selling" electricity as that would make the campsite come under the utility provider legislation.

I have tried to google it but no joy so far.

I am sure the technology could cope - not sure our infrastructure is up to it though! (lol)

Hi Clive

You could be correct but I have a feeling that the rules are that it is illegal to make a PROFIT out of reselling electricity, not illegal to resell it.

Of course unless anyone knows better I could be wrong *-)

Not what I recall reading but there is an interesting bit on the CC detail re setting up a CL.

The CC suggest that metering is problematic and charging separately could lead to a customer demanding evidence of usage.

See

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/01CBD3FB-9D48-45A4-BC5F-2B0F37ACF8A6/0/ElectricHookupinformation.pdf

As I say - not the reference I am sure I read but interesting none the less.

I will keep looking!

• 4 months later...

Archived