France

Guest Jo

We are open to suggestion as to where to go. Loire Valley Region and central france. We enjoy cycling and we love being near water. Sounds silly but we live in the centre of England so the sea is a distance from us. We have been on the South West coast of France many times and think we really ought to try inland.

Jo We did quite a bit of the Loire Valley in June (starting at St Nazaire) and were very disapointed, it's not that pretty most of the time and the water level was very low in places and non-existent in others. Sorry, have to rush, tea's ready!

DOn't know how far you want to travel, but Annecy is a great place - Lake Annecy, and there's a good municipal site which is elevated with lovely views and in walking disctance of the town. I think there are also sites along the shores of the lake iteself, suggest you check caravan Club Continental Sites guide for this.

OH! MEL B. How oh how can you say the Loire is dissapointing and not pretty.Sacrilage(or sacre bleu) It has got to be the most interesting.beautiful place in france,not that Ive seen it all.Think you must have been looking at some grot motor bikes or something. P.S no sugar in mine.

Mick H What's the thing about motorbikes??? You've lost me on that one! Which bit of the Loire do you think is the most "beautiful interesting place in France"? Certainly not the bit we drove down the edge of. We went from St Nazaire to just past Chambord before going on to Chartres, Rouen and making our way back up via Le Crotoy, Etaples to Calais. We did the bit where it was supposed to be the most beautiful and picturesque with chateaux etc. Did you do another bit? PS: Do you want a biscuit as well?

If you are in the Loire a good aire right on Loire river is at Beaugency a very pretty town stepping back in time, with an excellent cycle way skimming the Loire running through orchards, villages ,cornfields , full of poppys a really good cycle ride which is on the cycle way from Tours to Angers (75miles) cycle way. we cycled to Meung-sur-Loire all very pretty and good cycling.

Mel B If you went to Chambord IT dont get much better,maybe Chenonceau (I think thats how you spell it) just cant see how you couldn't enjoy such excellence all around.Re. the motorbikes a reference to 'where's Clive'thought you were on about motorbikes.Another Mel B perhaps. P.S.only if the're chocy biscuits,thank you.

Guest bilbo baggins
Hi We stayed at a lovely site in Millau called Les Rivages - there is a beautiful river (with a stone beach )running through the site - perfect for swimming / canoeing .etc We took our bikes with us and it was about a 5 min cycle to the centre of Millau- there is beautiful scenery in and around Millau lovely for cycling long or short distances. Obviously the bridge at Millau is a great attraction as well. We would definately recommend this site - we were there July this year with our dog and two 14yr old boys - it was great

I agree I have travelled extensively in France over the past 20 years. I was very disappointed with the loire valley. It seemed very run down flat and scruffy. I know this is partly the charm of France but there were lots of the loire that was very very run down. Sorry

I'm surprised, Mel.  I suppose it isn't all that pretty as wallpaper, but in combination with the towns (generally), the food, the wines, and the chateaux, I think it is really the most civilised, sophisticated and fascinating part of France. 

True, it lacks scenic grandeur, but that is really only worth a look and then move on.  The Loire valley, within which you really have to include the Loir and the Cher, just has so much depth of interest.  You'll have to give it another go, keeping East of Angers, which is where the fun really starts.

You don't mention Cheverney, which I would have thought would have appealed.  Furnished, still lived in by decendents of the family that build it, and it has this pack of big, baying, smelly, boar hounds.  They're the perfect foil to the chateau, with all its severe renaissance architecture.  Just to remind us that the effete French nobility aren't really that effete after all!

I agree about Chenonceau, it is definitely one of my favourites and surely must rate as at least pretty - I'd say sublime, but there you are!

If anyone wants a real little gem, go the the chateau of Talcy, a few kilometres NE of Blois.  It seems hardly to have been touched in 200 years.  You feel the presence of the history, because it is so obviously fragile.  I found it incredibly atmospheric, as though I had just walked back in time.  It really is special, and very much worth visiting.

I'll sort out a few more in a couple of weeks - if it isn't raining!

Hi All, Thanks for all your suggestions. We shall certainly try to see as much of them as possible. I'll let you know how we got on.

• 1 month later...
Hi Jo, We recently stayed at Lac Du Der (Champagne) said to be the largest man made lake in Europe. Now well developed, there are several free 'aires' around the lake, as well as camp sites. (Don't miss the circuit of timber framed churches nearby). About 300 miles from channel coast. A good bit nearer is Arques (part of St Omer) where there are several lakes, wetlands and canal. The municipal camp site at Arques is alongside a lake where there is also an aire for motor caravans (€2 per night) and use of camp site showers with token at little cost. Enjoy. Roy.

Archived