French trip 2007

WPP1234

Hi can anybody offer some advice on the trip we are planning to France next year (July/August) in our new motorhome We are travelling down to the South of France and would like some suggestions on a quick but scenic route. Ideally stopping in a town or village on route. The return journey route must be different probably a costal route again with some nice stopovers and scenery I will want to get down South as quickly as possible so is an overnight ferry a sensible option leaving a full day then to break the back of the journey?

Hi Paul, Suggest you purchase Le Guide officiel étapes touristiques camping-car and have a look at these sites will help a new motorhomer http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/travel/aires.htm http://www.ffcc.fr/Campeurs/Publications/Guides.php Le Guide officiel étapes touristiques camping-car is published around April and becomes difficult to obtain around July, I buy one every year from supermarkets or newsagents in France, and usually give the previous years away in September to some wanting motorhomer. The guide has a very useful map with icons representing all the places one can stay in villages and towns, until recently it was possible to spend a couple of months touring around without paying for overnight (or more) stops. The guide has a good selection of municiple and private camp sites as well as the French Passion sites (staying on Vineyards). We travel only non toll roads and this is made possible with a Sat Nav without any effort or falling out with my Navigator. I hesitate to recommend a route because tastes vary, but I would recommend not dashing through France (unless its raining), but take your time and enjoy the drive (but then I am retired and time is of no consequence- lovely). We spend two months at a time, twice a year in Europe, but always return before July and August because its so busy. Regarding your coastal route for the return, the Atlantic coast has 100's of free and low cost (5 - 7 euros) Aires to stay, on your way back, from Hendaye to Calais, when you buy the Bible (Le Guide officiel étapes touristiques camping-car ) you will see what I mean. If you have any specific questions, please post them, I and others will be pleased to advise. Regards Terry

Hi there, You don't say how long you are travelling for but you won't see the best of France belting down the autoroute to the South coast and the Cote d'Azur isn't motorhome friendly and is rather busy in July and August. Some aires we stayed at even in May/June were almost full around St Tropez and MH parking is limited. If you are prepared to stay inland a few miles it is easier to find sites. Obviously it depends on the type of holiday you're looking for and the type of sites! As far as routes we have always avoided Paris normally heading to Reims and south from there and we haven't done the west coast for many years. Sorry to sound a bit negative but with careful planning (or if like us - not!) you should have a great time. Our website has a few ideas for scenic France. Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Have you booked sites already? 

If you haven't, why the South of France?  In July/August it is heaving with all of Europe's sun seeking, holidaymaking, families with school age children. 

It also attracts all manner of riff raff, as do the main routes to and fro, so security can become a problem, unless you stay on campsites, and even on these, not all residents are necessarily quite what they seem!  Is is also substantially more expensive that other areas, and the locals can often be characterised of being interseted ony in your money.  Even the French moan about their attitude! 

If you must, the best bit, for my money, is West and not East from the Rhone, around to the Pyrenees, but staying inland and not coastal. 

Coastal sites in July/August can charge up to £30 per night, so choose carefully.  You will, absolutely, have to book before May to stand any chance of getting in, and you'll probably have to pay a booking fee in addition to a deposit.  Many sites won't take bookings for less than a week, some for less than a fortnight. 

I'm with Terry on the travel arrangements.  I think you're contemplating a concentrated blast South, and you'll just miss all the best bits en route. 

Also, be aware that the autoroute tolls stack up quickly for motorhomes, which are charged at Class 2.  The cheapest direct route south would use the A71/75 From Orleans to Montpellier via the Millau viaduct, most of which is non toll.  The A20 offers a still largely non-toll route a bit further to the West.

The A6 is horrendous at that time of year, with "johnny foreigner" in all his flavours streaming south to arrive by tea time.  Big jams and hold ups around Lyon are a regular feature, and the French police and Fire brigades mount a very efficient, military style, campaign each year to remove all the accidents and breakdowns fast just to keep the whole lot moving.  Not my idea of holiday fun at all!  (If you really want a laugh, watch the Swedes.  Volvo estates with their tails scraping the deck, towing huge caravans, at near warp speed, straight down the overtaking lane for mile after mile.  Stockholm to Nice in a day - no problem!)

With apologies, and my best wishes for whatever route you take.

You don't say whre you are travelling from in UK, or which Crossing you use. This could have some bearing on whethr you travel overnight on a ferry, I think. From where we live (Cornwall) the obvious route to take is Plymouth - Roscoff, but I have only once gone ovenight, and personally would not do so again. I guess it depends how well you sleep on a ferry, and also what time you have to get up and off the boat! We prefer to take the afternoon ferry which gets us to Roscoff somewhere between 7 and 10 pm depenidng on the day of the week, then we overnight either on the aire or car park at Roscoff, or at the excellent aire at St Pol, about 10mins up the road. As to going poste haste to the south, I agree with the previous comments - there is so much to see on the way there (and back), and I would certainly not go anywhere near there from Mid July to Mid August. In fact, we leave France to return home around 13th July.......say no more! Whatever you decide, enjoy France, such a great place to drive - so long as you avoid certain days and directions, of course, and distances can soon be eaten up, and you get to you destination much more relaxed, unlike almost anywhere in the uK.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with all the previous replies. I will try to attach a 4 page article that I recently wrote for the m'home mags. about our holiday this September in France. It gives our route, where we stayed, and what it cost. It may give you a flavour of the possibilities. If my attachment doesn't work (I've never tried it before), give me your e-mail address and I can send it to you (or anybody else, for that matter) direct. All the best.

It did work, Crob. Very interesting and informative so many thanks. We stayed twice at Langres interesting town but the camp site leaves a bit to be desired - the loos and showers are pretty basic and open to all! Very entertaining to sit in the evening and watch the hoards arrive in as, when last there, very few pitches were marked so a free for all ensued. Empress

• 1 month later...
Hi Brian, From your comments you appear well travelled. Can you give me any advice on the route from Dunkerque down to Alsace? To Lille and Valenciennes then le Cateau Cambresis looks pretty straight forward. Then the N43 to Metz looks good. Is there a poblem with the N43? The reason I ask is the website I use for planning my trips www.mappy.com insists on sending me from Lille along the E42 into Belgium the E25 through Luxemburg then back into France along the E23 to Epinal. I specify non toll routes. Our plan is to meander down to the Rivierra but it is this initial stage which is causing concern. Thanks for your useful comments which I read with interest. We have done Roscoff Hendaye last year which was spectacular especially the Gironde. Dune of Pyla etc. The eastern border is a different ball game. Hope you can help.

The problem with Dunkerque to Alsace, especially the Northern end around Strasbourg, is that there aren't really any good or direct routes through France off Autoroute.

If you put a ruler across the map you end up tracing a line through a fair bit of Belgium anyhow.  Since the Belgian autoroutes are toll free, ditto Luxembourg, it does make quite good sense to go that way round.  Only problem is there isn't really a direct route so you have to weave around a bit.

French side of the border, quite a bit, if not all, of the A25 is toll free, but it's a concrete road with misaligned joints, so make sure your fillings are tight if you choose that one!

On balance, if starting at Dunkerque, I think I'd go down through Belgium and Luxembourg, then into France and pick up the A4 at Metz.  Its not too far from Metz on the French toll roads and that last bit is quite hilly, so the easier grades on the autoroute really pay off in time and fuel.

Pass Saverne on the A4, then leave South (right) onto the N404/N4 towards Wasselonne, D422 to Molsheim, D500 to Obernai where there is a very well run and welcoming municipal called Camping le Vallon de l'Hen.

Archived