Grouse and Trout

Geof  Angi

Hi all, just back from our Easter trip to Scotland. Had a good trip and saw a few things of historic intrest (to me, maybe not others).

Having to be in a place called Evanton, approx 25 mile north of Inverness on the Tuesday morning we decided to stay near Loch Ness over the weekend (Sat-Sun night) moving onto Culloden on the Monday. We stayed at a place called The Steadings at the Grouse & Trout at a cost of £9 per night (£55 p.w.). This is a CC CL and some would maybe say dear, but we do not think so for the quality of the site. There are five pitch's all hard standing, each with electric and own water tap, all pitch's have gray waste disposel if you have an extension hose that will reach the drain by the tap and the three on the top level will also accept black waste. If you do not have the extra hose there are the normel arrangements for black waste and an MV point. There is no TV reception on the site so all pitch's have an aerial point for you to plug in an aerial extension lead, and if you do not have one with you David will sell you one for £5 or rent you one @ £1 per night.

The Grouse and Trout also does B&B, has a licenced bar and restaurant and also does take away, it is adults only, not far away from public transport, and 2 mile for course fishing, I had the motor bike in the trailer but as you will see from the picture it was not quite the weather to be riding a bike. It has a good view across the open countryside and is only a short drive from Fort Augustus where you can have an hours tour aboard the Royal Scot on Loch Ness to see if you can spot Nessie. We had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night which was cooked and presented very well by David and served by his good lady (who's name I must apoligise and am sorry to say I have forgotten), but a nice lady all the same. There was a good selection of dishes which where possible the produce was sourced locally, and you payed by the courses, i.e. 1,2 or 3 with a fine selection of wine. Angie and myself had two course with a bottle of wine and pre dinner drinks at a cost of around £70

You can find the Grouse & Trout heading north on the A9 about 10 mile or so short of Inverness, turn left onto the B851 sp Fort Augustus (there is also a sign for the hotel at this junction) the hotel is about 7 and a 1/2 miles along this road, although it feels that you have missed it, it is on the right hand side of the road and very visable when you get there

Website. www.steadingshotel.co.uk

email. david@steadingshotel.co.uk

Phone. 01808 521 314

Address. Mr & Mrs D Allen

The Steadings at the Grouse & Trout

Flichity by Farr

South Loch Ness

Inverness

IV2 6XD

Scotland

100_2190.JPG.cdd02934eb009b18cd006dfecf9de785.JPG

• 2 weeks later...