Ireland sites

BillW

I want to take our motorhome to Ireland (mainly Southern) for an extended period to carry out some family history research. As such, we won't be "touring" or holidaying, but going to specific locations to see places and to look up records. This should be much cheaper than staying in hotels or B&Bs.

My research into sites has so far provided little information. There seems to be a dearth of sites compared to Britain or Europe. Away from the border with the North, should there be any trouble with some independent camping. What I would love is something equivalent to the Caravan Club's CLs, to stay on private land and get to mix in with the locals.

Our principal destinations are: Wicklow Town; Carlow; Portarlington; Kildare; Tuam in Galway; Westport in Mayo; and central Dublin. I also need to go to Drumcree/Portadown and to Belfast in the North.

Any advice from people with experience of motorcaravanning in Ireland would be very welcome.

Bill

• 1 month later...

This site lists all the registered camping sites in Southern Ireland. Wild camping isn't very popular but you see some Motorhomes from time to time parked by beaches, in car parks etc and I'm sure it is fine. You shouldn't have any problems with space in these sites but be careful if you are arriving on holiday weekends - you might need to ring ahead. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Im so late with this but you may just see it in time.

As a very active angler I would do a lot of wildcamping from 1 end of this country to the other. I would mainly use small fishing ports and the boat owners are only to glad for you to stay over as it helps safeguard their boats. I always ask 1st and have never been refused so if a lifeboat collection box should be sitting nearby I would drop a couple of quid in to it.

Some of these ports and piers have electric points on them and I have been offered to use them. Beach areas are good spots too. Some have bits of waste ground to the side of them and again permission has always been given. The Irish people are a very helpful lot and most will go out of their way to help.

I have just returned from 3nts in Donegal on a beach. Was directed to a local spring 50yds from the van, supplied with as much fresh fish as I could eat, allowed to empty my waste and the kids played snooker in the gentlemans shed. These actions are not uncommon.Might be able to help you with a few places to park. Email or Pm

Archived