Isle of Lewis-Outer Hebrides

Sambosson

I notice in one or two forums some of you hope to be visiting the Western Isles area during 2007 as I live on the Isle of Lewis if I can be of any asistance with places to park up overnight/best places for food stiffs/cheapest petrol/gas/places of interest including beaches and walking please send me an email and I will help all I can to make your stay as relaxed as possible.

Sambosson (VWT25 owner) vw@sheshader.fsnet.co.uk

Have just read your offer re information re places to stay etc. on Lewis.

Chances are we will be visiting for a wedding later in the year (date to be arranged!!).....can you advise re places to stay and how is the ferry crossing in winter......is there a problem with the motor home?

Any information appreciated.

Regards

New user.

No problem with ferry (2 returns Monday to Saturday) www.calmac.co.uk ferruy runs between Ullapool and Stornoway, you can also cross over to the Isle of Skye for the Uig ferry and cross to Tarbert in Harris but this can be a longer road trip but if you have time then, no problem. Ferry fare dependent on size of van (see web site for price indication). regarding where to stay, do you want a site or wild camping - let me know the area where the wedding is and app time of year and i will look up the best places to stay - NOTE: very few camp sites worth staying on but one reasonable in Stornoway on the list. Keep in touch and any help i can give, i will do

John S

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John & Ruth,

Well back to reality for us !!

But had to email and thank you for your very kind advices, which contributed immensely to the enjoyment that we got from our visit to the Hebrides.

Our first night was spent along the road to Garry Beach just outside Stornaway you turn right.

The 'wild camping' at Ness Lighthouse well the concrete pads half a mile down the road was quite spectacular. We then travelled down the west coast and round & up to Reef Beach ? Before heading back to Stornaway where we actually past you on the way up and again when coming back down !! Shame we couldn't have stopped and had a brew up - maybe next time ?

Horgabost was next up and boy oh boy what beaches !! We could happily have stayed on there much longer but needed the batteries topping up. We hope they get that site off the ground with basic facilities real soon.

Onto the Uists where we were crossing our fingers that the site on Benbecula would have hook ups, even from quarter of a mile away i spotted them from the road !!

After spending the rest of our holiday exploring the Uists (and those single track roads) it was back across to Skye for a night, then over the bridge to Morvich Caravan Club Site to top up the reservoirs once again. Before going back onto Skye and catching the ferry to Mallaig.

This trip has been one of our best yet and will certainly be repeating it again - theres still so much more to see. and ermm Fish to be caught !!!

Once again many many thanks.

Regards

Ken & Alison

Archived