Italy January-February?

el-d

I'm considering an extended winter trip for January and February in the motorhome and toying with the idea of Italy. First results of web searching are not encouraging I have to say, particularly in respect of weather. I'm not planning to drive 1000 miles, even in my beloved old Galaxy, if I still have to wear a sweater when I get to the other end! Is someone going to tell me it's not so?

I'm also getting the impression that Italy is rather expensive in comparison to say Spain or France. Does Italy have an equivalent to the Aire de Service for example and is wild camping a serious option?

I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone who has wintered in Italy in a motorhome in recent years and pick up tips and hints for doing so at a reasonable cost. I've done this in Spain so am reasonably seasonned in general terms.

When I go to Italy for a winter holiday I nearly always go to Sicily where it is quite mild at that time of year. Although Italy is generally slightly more expensive than Spain it is not as expensive as France IMHO.

Southern Sicily is further south than parts of North Africa.

The motorway tolls are considerably cheaper than France. The motorways in Southern Italy are Toll Free except for Sicily where you have to pay for some of them. Motorhomes are generally charged as for a car.

My route there is often Belgium, Luxembourg, France or Germany to Switzerland, St. Gotthard Tunnel then Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Salerno or Sorrento, Then down to Villa San Giovanni to get the Ferry to Messina. About €55 ( £44 ) for a 60 day return. There are quite a few campsites on Sicily which are open all year.

Phil.

Syd - 2008-11-27 1:11 AM Partly off topic but does anyone know the price of the ferry from Valencia to Sicilly for a car and a large caravan, please I would also be most grateful for any web site links to help ?? Thank you in advance

This link may help a bit.  It doesn't show a ferry from Valencia to Sicily, but there is one from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome), and another from there to Palermo.  http://tinyurl.com/6jslkt

Gawd knows how much it would cost, though!

We have wintered in Italy the last 3 years... Tuscany/Umbria, then Sorrento Peninsula, then Puglia.  We had snow in Tuscany (Florence, would you believe!), but mild weather in Sorrento/Naples and even better in Puglia.  Many days have been sunny, warm, fresh.  But I could never say "hot"!  Having said that, it's the perfect time to tour Italy, in my humble opinion.  Fewer cars (except Naples!!), much less stress, wonderful Christmas atmosphere. 

Italy's version of Aires are the Area di Sosta, but publications covering them are scarce.  I don't have it to hand at the moment, but there is an excellent Italian publication available at Italian motorway services, covering most of them.  You usually have to pay "some" money to stay, though, and often they are half way between a classic French Aire and a full site.  Someone else reading this might remember the title. 

We love touring Italy in the winter, and would normally be back again this Christmas, but we're headed to the Corbieres wine region of the south of France this year instead.

• 1 year later...

Hi

The weather in winter in Italy can certainly be sweater weather! But the further south you go the more pleasant days of sunshine can be found.

We usually go during summer and wild camp at the beach, not sure what this would be like during winter though! Alot of the beach resorts close during summer so parking wont be a problem but a beer from the bar could be!

We have often found that right next to the signs saying no camping there are at least 10 motorhomes parked there! Thats Italians for you!

Hope this helps!

In Oct & Nov 2005 had 45 nights in Italy ending up about 40k from the bottom. Only spent 4 nights on sites and didn't have to pay on any of the Sostas we used.

I got a list of Sostas from www.camperonline.it. Printed off about 120 pages and still have the file. Send me a message if you want to borrow it or want details of a few gudduns.

Most of those we used had sat nav coordinates and they were reasonably accurate.

We went down on the back roads up in the hills but came back on the motorways. Pleasantly surprised at the low tolls.

Weather - in November we were on a sosta at Ardore Marina, way down south, 25 metres from the beach. I went swimming every afternoon we were there and the weather was great.

Have a great trip.

Archived