Lake District campsites

degsy

We are going to the Lake District during the next couple of weeks for a few days. We plan to go walking and would like to set off on our walks from the campsite we are staying at and not have to leave the motorcaravan in a public car park. I'm sure you can do this from many of the campsites but before going I thought I would see if any of you had particular favourites. We don't need the 'full facilities' type of camp site and if possible to stay away from the touristy ones.

Guest Bungle
Derwentwater site run by The Camping and Caravanning Club has to be a must. A few minutes walk to the town centre and surrounded by fantastic walks of all types. The site has full service hardstanding pitches too. http://www.myccc.co.uk/MA_MembersArea/SiteFinder/SiteDetails.aspx?SiteId=7090

• 3 months later...
Our all time favourite Lake District site is Sykeside, which is right at the bottom of Kirkstone Pass. There's a pub on the edge of site which does absolutely fab food. In March we got snowed in there, so do beware that in bad weather you might get stuck! Look up Brotherswater Inn or Sykeside on the web for details. We were there last weekend and it was as great as ever.

• 4 weeks later...
Like the first reply the Derwent Water site at Keswick is brilliant, but another good tip we got when we were there was to go to the tourist information office in the centre of town and get the set of walk leaflets they cost £1.50 for a set of about six walks the directions given are really good with different levels of walks really worth getting, taking us on walks we would never have found ourselves. One point though check with the site for availablity this time of the year as the site can flood, but a site and walks so worth doing. Carol. *-)

Archived