Late night crossing, access to parking in Calais area

Geof  Angi

Hi, we are new to moter homes and although we have travelled to france many times by car we have always had a motel booked for first night. We had planned to stop at Calais dock on first night as our boat does not arrive until about 1am local time on a Wednesday morning, but have read a post in MMM that there may have been trouble here. Does anyone know of a site that can be booked where we can arrive at around said hour. We travel on 4th September so this may be a little late to ask the question, but as they say, if you don't ask you won't find out. Rest of trip sorted with France Passion and sites in south booked but need info on first night.

Many thanx

I'd use an Aire de Service I think, but not too near a motorway - and certainly not a motorway service station.

There are plenty of threads here concerning Aires, and lots of opinions of course to help you form your own, but I think if you find one that looks alright then it probably will be. You know what I mean - in or near a village, maybe attached to a campsite, clean and tidy, recently mown grass, toilets that you would be happy to use if you didn't have your own etc.

Somebody will reply and tell you of a good one near Calais - I hope, as I would like to know for our next trip.

There is always some risk, but for every victim there must be thousands who have no trouble at all - but you never hear about them.

Hope this helps

Can recommend the car park at Calais port, stayed there in June on the recommendation of a friend who's done it for years without any problem. It's next to the ticket offices - go to the following thread and scroll down to the 4th posting for 30 May 2007 and you'll find a map of where the parking is.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7126&posts=55

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for comments above, it is now 1st Oct and we are back safely. Stayed first night @ Cite Europe coach park alongside police HQ with no problems. Had a great time and put another 1850 mile on the clock at an average 25mpg with various speeds over all classes of road. Stayed at a varity of sites and French Passion stop overs but the one that took our fancy in the end was on our way home, after a brush with the French Mistral and a couple of stiches in the head we ended up coming across a site just north of Vallence by chance. This site which translates into English (my version) as Solihull Fruity. (I will do a write up on this very soon for you to check out should you so wish) was the cleanist site that we had come across on the whole of the trip with great swimming pool, good size picth's and the cleanest abloution block that I have seen since I had to scrub them in my army days for the sgt major's inspection was only in its second year and great value for money and helpful staff and I would have no worries recomending this site to anyone and happy to send photo's and contact details to anyone. Watch out for the review here in the near future. Angie and I are now trying to plan our next trip which will be @ Christmas and also a trip next June when Greece has been banded about, so if anyone has any info that they feel might help please send it to us and we will be most grateful.

Until the next time,

Have Fun

Geof&Angie

Archived