Long Hazel Park, Somerset. Review

camper69

This is a pretty little adult only site conveniently located just off the A303 in Sparkford, near Yeovil in Somerset so there is some road noise but it is reduced somewhat by the sites extensive planting. Pitches are hard standing for caravans and motorhomes, all with 16amp electric hook up, and a grass area for tents. Some of the hard standings can take the longest RV’s but those over 30ft incur an extra charge. I’m pleased to say though the site has recently removed its charge for cars being towed by motorhomes. The hard standings are not wide enough to take an awning (which are charged for) which would need to be erected on the adjacent grass and I did think larger awnings might be a little too near to adjacent units.

The site is open all year and I stayed for two weekday nights in a very cold February. Some of the standpipes, although lagged, froze but water was available from the dishwashing room. The heated amenity bock, which also boasts an excellent disabled suite, was spotlessly clean although I was the only one using it for the first night. I was joined by another motorhome the second night. There isn’t a dedicated motorhome service point. The friendly and helpful site owner said they had four units over the previous weekend. This seems a shame because the site is licensed for up to 75 units (including tents) with 30 hard standings and there is plenty to see and do for a few days in winter. The Haynes International Motor Museum is just down the road and the Fleet Air Arm Museum is nearby and both are open in the winter. There are three RSPB reserves on the Somerset Levels about half an hour away and they will have more birds visiting during the winter. There are several National Trust properties in the area and although the houses don’t open until March two have grounds and parkland that are open all year, ideal for lovely winter walk. There’s a pub/restaurant almost next door although I did not use it so can’t comment on it. The site is also a convenient stopover site if travelling to Cornwall.

It’s not the cheapest site but no way near the most expensive. It’s currently £21.00 for a caravan/motorhome with two adults including electric hook up and there is no charge for the showers. This is reduced to £17.00 for solo campers. It was pleasing to note these prices are the same throughout the year, no massive high season hike. But there is a £2.00 charge for awnings and £1.00 for dogs.

If we want sites all year round then they need customers and it’s a shame Long Hazel is being under utilised during winter. You know the saying – use it or lose it!

www.longhazelpark.com

Archived