P&O Concessionary discount (post takeover)

philboy

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked P & O Portsmouth to Bilbao and return.

The concession webpages are difficult to get on to. When I rang P & O, I was told not to enter the first letter of the code. This information would have saved half an hour dial up and a lot of patience.

Then you can enter the ferry destination you want. Adding the date you would like is not as easy as putting in 13/03/07. You are required to click on a tiny square which resolves itself into a calendar. Then Motorhome sizes... you need to click on "change vehicle"!

The result is, in my case at least, £7 dearer than the Joe Public price..which I eventually took. Although I did spend a while on the phone with another P & O rep who checked that the results I was getting were in fact correct.

The Caravan Club, who have got me better deals in the past, could only offer me much higher grade accommodation than I wanted ie a Club Suite instead of a Club Cabin.

ps. I only ever had 300 shares for half discount. Perhaps with full discount I would have been asked to pay £14

We sold our P&O shares when they were taken over, this was due to the fact that for the last few years cocessionary fares have been dearer than booking online or by phone, also that they had stopped their Portsmouth Le Harve and Cherboug crossings. The interesting thing is as we have left 10p per share with P&O (which was all part of the takeover package) we are still entitled to Concessionary fares.

Still have the concession. I booked in December on the web for Dover to Calais 27 May early morning and back evening of 3 July, AutoTrail 7m long 3 m high. Return fare £56. Also booked end of January for October 4 early morning and back evening of October 18. Return fares, P&O concession £56, Caravn Club £56 and Camping and Caravnning Club £59.

Archived