Places to stay in Cornwall

twinnycb

Hi Everyone, Having just returned from a 2 week holiday in Devon, we are looking for a site to stay on next summer. We stayed at Oakdown (for the 3rd year running) between Sidmouth and Seaton - an award winning 5* site which I would highly recommend. Very well maintained pitches set out in groves between 3 and 8 pitches, excellent facilities, play area, games room, bathrooms, laundry, washing up area, lots of toilets & showers inc mixed area when the gents and ladies are closed for cleaning. Next year we are looking for a similar site, but in the tip of Cornwall, price is not really an issue (cheaper than going abroad!) but we would like several things, all of the above plus a pool larger area for kids to play on including football/ or pitch area We don't want a large commercial site with a clubhouse and amusements but equally we don't want to be in the middle of a farmers field. Smaller and family freindly is good with plenty of space between pitches .....any suggestions? Website links would be useful........ :-> :-> :->

Hi twinnych Not Cornwall, but have you considered the Isle of Wight? We went a few years back on one of the 5 night including ferry deals. We were worried that we'd get bored but it was absolutely great! We stayed on a smaller quiet site but we could've had one with a pool and/or full family facilities. There was loads to do on the island - visiting lovely towns and villages, pottering on the jurassic beaches, shopping (if you really must!) and to top it all we found a lovely chippy! As the price tends to be just over £100 mark for a motorhome it's not bad value either when you think that it includes the ferry and 5 nights stay on a good quality site. The only thing I can't remember is when you are restricted to going to get the deal, but I seem to remember we were there in mid-July.

Thanks Mel B Funnily enough we talked about that too (and also venturing into France), so that's a possibility we can explore. For me France is out at the moment (although I'd love to give it a try) as I've only driven abroad once and didn't take to it, so having a van on the back is a daunting thought!, I'll stick to Blighty for the moment I think....... Thanks again Twinnycb

• 2 weeks later...
Hi , we have family in st Ives . We have in the past stayed at Polmanter. The sister site is called Ayr but this one gets busy as it's nearer the beach than Polmanter. They are both within walking distance. Polmanter has a club house nice clean site bus service from the door to carry you into St Ives. Pool clean toilets little shop and resturant with just a small friendly bar. very well kept site with beautiful grass flowers disabled toilets . Hope this help's you (!)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi twinnycb. Ok I know this is a large site, but you really should try Pentewan Sands. It's right on the beach, and great for kids. You don't need to use the clubhouse, but it does have a good swimming pool , complete with lifeguards. Recommend the Ship Inn in nearby Pentewan village. 5 mins walk from your pitch. Try the HSD draught. It also does meals, very good price, and welcomes children. Site shop sells freshly baked croissants, and Cornish pasties Pitches are large and plenty of room for the kids to play on near and on the beach ( It's a private one for the site only ) Oh and did I mention the Ship Inn ! (lol)

Slightly off track but we went to Ship Inn again last week (third visit) and it's seems to have gone downhill. Service was crap! Food took forever, when it arrived it was over cooked and just dumped on the table. The staff did not want to know about complaints saying that the management would be back shortly (never did arrive). That will be my last visit for some time.

Archived