Portugal and Spain

walker.m4

We are planning a caravan trip to above and would welcome any advice regarding sites, routes (motorways), etc.

We intend getting the ferry to Bilbao and going to Lisbon, Costa del Sol, Barcelona and Madrid.

Our travel dates are 24 April to 26 June '08.

Hope you can help.

Marian and Matt (New Users)

• 3 weeks later...

Marian & Matt

I have only just noticed your post and suggest that you try the Motorhome Matters section of the forum for a better response - this one is little used I'm afraid.

If I were doing this trip I would go Bilbao, Burgos, Madrid, A90 Marida, Badajoz, Lisbon.

Madrid - Should you want to avoid the hassle of Madrid with your caravan I can recommend Camping 'El Estorial', El Estorial, 25m west of the city. Approaching Madrid from the north on the E5/N1 turn onto the N110 and head for Segovia and then El Estorial. From here you have the choice of Madrid, Segovia and El Estorial itself by good car routes. On leaving you are quickly on your way via the A5-M40-E90 avoiding the city.

Lisbon - I know nothing about I'm afraid.

Costa del Sol - Unfortunately there are no decent sites in the area unless you are very lucky with your pitch. The three main ones in the Marbella area are 'Marbella Playa', 'Capabino' and 'La Buganvilla', or Death by Fire, Death by Drowning and just Death as they are affectionately known by the locals. The 'best' of these is probably 'Marbella Playa' approx 8m E from Marbella. 'Cabopino'(10m E) has a first class resturant at its entrance and within a short walking distance from a nice marina/beach of the same name. 'La Buganvilla' is at 6m E.

Again, we tend to stay out of Barcelona itself and use 'Vilanova Park', Vilanova i la Geltru, another first class site 22 miles E of the city. It has excellent bus/train links to Barcelona.

Hope that some of the above will be of use.

Have fun

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
(lol) We have stayed at Vilanova over New Year (and other times) and you can book for thier lovely NewYears Party and meal it is well worth it,they have a lovely big outdoor pool and a nice indoor pool, if travelling to barcelona by train approx 25 mins. its the second stop in Barcelona for the centre ;-)

• 1 month later...

Dear RonB

We wish to apologise sincerely for not replying earlier but circumstances did not allow us to do so.

We really appreciate your advice and since our posting last November we have been recommended Villanova Park which confirms your comments.

We have now decided on the ferry to Santander and stopping at a site at Noja.

Do you, or anyone, know of a site at or near Burgos ?

We then intend going to Vilanova Park and then to Camping "El Estorial" as you suggested.

From Madrid we want to head for Pruna, near Seville, to visit my sister.

Can you, or any one else, give information on sites between Madrid and Seville ?

Once again thank you for your response and your good wishes for our holiday.

Marian & Matt

Dear horse444

We wish to apologise sincerely for not replying earlier but circumstances did not allow us to do so.

We really appreciate your comments regarding Villanova and also your advice about travelling to Barcelona which we intend doing.

Thank you once again.

Marian & Matt

walker.m4 - 2008-01-21 5:38 PM ..... Do you, or anyone, know of a site at or near Burgos ? ....... Marian & Matt

Municipal campsite at Burgos, Camping Fuentes Blancas.  Very well organised and run, and regularly and properly cleaned (at least, it was when we visited in autumn 2005!).  It is just south of the centre, on the south bank of the river Arlanzon, about 1.5 miles east of the N623.  There was a free shuttle bus into Burgos from the site, although it is walkable along the river if you have the time, around 30 mins if I remember.

If you skirt round Madrid then Toledo is a great stop, with a campsite just outside and on the bus route into the city. Very good facilities there... Segovia is another place we loved, with a site again on the outskirts ideal for exloring the city by bus.

Personally I'd steer clear of the coast by Marbella and Malaga, and head inland, Ronda is worth a visit...also if you head up to Barcelona then Girona looks well worth the time... it's on our list of places to go to.

A site that we use often as a night stop in the winter is 'Camping Despenaperros' at Santa Elena, just north of La Carolina. This is approx half way between Madrid and Savilla and the campsite is ideally situated one minute from the main A4/E5. A rural site set beside vineyards. Nothing flash but clean and quite adequate for a short stay with good walking if you fancy it. Popular with Brits on this section of the journey on which campsites are near non-existent. A decent hotel/restaurant near the camp entrance.

If you should use it and have a gps turn off the E5 going south at the second exit (38.34492N 3.53671W). The site is then almost opposite you and it will save you going through the village.

'El Brillante' at Cordoba is another option but nowhere near as convenient. However, if you wanted to dally and visit the superb Mezquita (a must if your there) and other sights, then it would be ideal.

Archived