ST GOTTARD TUNNEL

mpb

WOULD ANYONE NO IF THE ST GOTTARD TUNNEL IS A TOLL TUNNEL

AND WHAT THE SWISS ROAD TAX FOR A 3.25 TON MOTORHOME WOULD BE, ALSO WOULD IT BE EASIER TO BUY IT AT THE U.K OR AT THE SWISS BORDER.

CHEERS

M.P.BROWN

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER :D

Hi MPB,

It will cost you SF40 to use the Swiss motorway system, there is no extra toll on the St Gothard Tunnel.

Full details at http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/informationen/00421/index.html?lang=en

You can buy the vignette at the border, just follow the signs and you don't even have to get out of the vehicle. You can pay in SF, Euro, £sterling and the plastic. If you pay in Euro or £ you will get SF in change.

This is what the vignette looks like http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014

Safe travelling.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Totallyidle - 2008-02-04 11:15 PM

I queued at that place for 4 hours coming out of Italy on a Sunday in September, never again.

It is best avoided at the weekends in the summer and the weekends either side of Easter and other public holidays. Also at the height of the skiing season.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I went through the tunnel on the 11th going from Lucerne to Bologna, I only had to slow down to keep within the reduced speed limit in the tunnel.

The thing to remember is to stay in the car lane and DONT use the lorry lane or you could well get stuck. I have been through the tunnel in both directions on many occasions have have never experienced any major hold ups. Although I did have a break down as I was about to enter it a couple of years ago when a plastic connector in my coolant system broke and squirted a large quantity of antifreeze everywhere.

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

I spent at least 3 hrs in traffic last summer on weekend return trip. in future I will try and do it at night....

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to take your registration document. We didn't have ours, there was an awful lot of arm waving, rudeness and generally unhappiness - they even started telling us we couldn't come into the country; to turn around and go back.

We got through in the end. We were a 4 tonne vehicle, passing through for the one day and it cost £24 approx. You have to specify weight, duration of visit, you will also have to pay the same again for a trailer.

Debs

Debs753979 - 2008-04-12 5:59 PM

Don't forget to take your registration document. We didn't have ours, there was an awful lot of arm waving, rudeness and generally unhappiness - they even started telling us we couldn't come into the country; to turn around and go back.

We got through in the end. We were a 4 tonne vehicle, passing through for the one day and it cost £24 approx. You have to specify weight, duration of visit, you will also have to pay the same again for a trailer.

Debs

Debs,

It's always wise to carry the registration document when you are abroad.

The vinplate would have done to establish you were over the 3500kg limit for the Vignette.

As your motorhome was above the 3500kg weight limit you you should have been able to buy a permit for one day (3.25 SF), 10 days (32.50SF), a month (58.50SF) or a year (650.00SF).

Don

To the best of my knowledge, it is a requirement of all EC states (and Switzerland!) that you carry the V5 registration document with the vehicle.  You must carry the original, not a copy. 

This is a legal requirement, not an option, and failure to provide the required evidence of registration could result in your vehicle being impounded, at least until its status can be established.  You were lucky!

Archived