Scotland to Dover

yan

We are arriving in Scotland on the evening of 30th June and have a booking to cross over from Dover to France on 3rd July. Any suggestions on a good site to stopover along the way?

regards

Majella

Hi Yan, welcome to the forum, just read your post as you will have between 600/700 miles to cover on the journey do you want to stay a day in Scotland, what part of Scotland will you arrive, then find a site local to that area. When you arrive at Dover there is a CCC site , the best idea is to give us a idea where you want to stay half way, and perhaps some one will have a idea, I guess you will need one near the Motorway. Carol.

thank you for the reply. We will arrive in Stranaer at 19.17, off the Stena crossing from Belfast. We are hoping to be fit to drive for maybe 2 to 3 hours before stopping for the night. Then on Tues 1st July driving on another good part of the journey, before finding another stopover for the night. Then on Wed we need to book in by 1500hrs for our crossing to france. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Majella

Hi Majella

Don't know what you're driving so don't know how far you're likely to cover in 2/3 hours and as you will be stopping somewhere at around 9-10pm that probably rules out campsites. Presumably you'll be travelling on the A75 picking up the M74 at Gretna? Motorway services there allow overnighting but I think are quite expensive. Further on at Carlisle J44 there is a truck stop where you could perhaps o/night or just beyond the truckstop there is an Asda with a huge car park. Further down the M6 there is Tebay services which has a site attached but you may be able to park up in the picnic area, also chargeable. Don't go to Southwaite, it's small and noisy. Killington Lake services is another possibility. Are you a member of any of the clubs as their sites books would be a good source of possible campsite stops? For an o/night on the 2 July we have used a C&CC listed site at Flitwick, off J12 on the M1 but that leaves you with the M25 to cover on the day of your crossing which wouldn't be a problem if you got an early enough start. Otherwise there are plenty of sites close to Dover if you chose to push onto there. Hope you get sorted.

Cheers Irene

Can't help with sites, but please do be aware that both the M6, and the M25, can be very slow, carry very high traffic voulmes, and are very prone to hold-ups.  Also the M6 around Brum is very stop/start and for speed it will probably pay you to use the new toll road.  You will need to plan in plenty of slack in your journey times to avoid stress, especially on the last leg to Dover.  M2/20 to Dover not too bad, and generally free running, once you get off the magic roundabout.

You might have a look on ViaMichelin, which suggests A74/M6 to Penrith, then across to the A1 and down that to M11, M25, Dartford crossing, then M20 to Dover.  It suggests around 9 hours continuous travel (ie.e no breaks at all), about 50% on motorway, assuming a car/caravan combination.

Brian  We will be travelling to Dover soon and we always use the M6 route which is why I thought that was the route Majella might take. Is the A/M1 likely to be much quieter than the M6? For Majella to go cross country from Preston to the A1 (M65/A56/A59?) is a bit of a journey, albeit picturesque, a lot of it non dual carriageway A roads. Although if they're driving a small van that may not be a problem. Coming from Glasgow, as we would be, we'd pick up the A1 from Edinburgh so I'd really like to know if the A/M1/M11 would be quicker than M6 for our next trip.

cheers Irene

Hello Irene. We have done the trip south, to Derbyshire, countless times. In our experience it depends on the time of day ( or night ) we travel. As you know the M6 can be very busy Blackpool southwards. Then again so can the A1/A1M.

If we go the A1 etc., we cross country at J40, M6 onto the A66. It's been improved lately and is a nice road to drive.

All things taken into consideration we find it doesn't make much difference to our journey times which road we take.

Hope this helps.

We would use the same route as Brian, We are going to Stranraer / Belfast at the end of July and have decided to stop en-route at Boroughbridge ccc site just off the A1.

We have stayed on a good site at Gretna ( The first and Last) it was very clean and with easy access back onto the 74.

Keep waving

Kate

Albeit a native Keelie, I'm now just South of you in Lanarkshire !

After 20+ years of using M6/M42/M40/ M25 (anti-clockwise), I've used a different route for the last couple of years which was suggested to me by a retired coach driver. So far, it appears to have kept us out of the way of the worst of the traffic snarl-ups in the Midlands.

Take the A74(M) South

Take exit 40 onto A66 towards Penrith/Keswick/Brough

Take A66 towards Scotch Corner/A1(M)

Take the A1 South towards Wetherby

Take exit 44 onto A1 towards M62/The South/Hull

Take exit 35 onto M18 towards M1/M180/Sheffield/S****horpe

Take the M18 ramp towards M1/M'Way

Keep on M1 towards The South/London/Nottingham

Take exit 14 onto A14 towards M11/London (E)/Huntingdon/Cambridge/Stansted

Continue onto M11 towards London

Take exit 6 onto M25 towards M20/M1/Dartford Tnl./Gatwick Airport/Heathrow

Stay on M25 towards M23/M20/Gatwick Airport/Channel Tnl/Dover

Take exit 3 onto A20 towards London (SE & C)/Lewisham

Enter roundabout / take the 5th left onto A20 ramp

Keep on M20 towards Ashford/Channel Tunnel/Dover

Ooops.

Meant to add :

If you want a stopover, there's a site at Worksop which is OK.

Details on request (I have no personal interest in site)

Thanks for that info Ian. Need to discuss with hubby as he's the driver. Some years ago we did that route in reverse cos the navigator (me!) missed a turn off. So it's kinda viewed (by some) as the wrong route.there's also a lot of A road, rather than M, particularly the A66 which can be a slow one. I suppose it all depends on time of travel. As always I'm looking forward to our trip but also as always I'm a bit nervous. I hate flying and I hate "driving". I wish someone could just beam me up but until such times my poor hubby will just have to put up with my nervous twitches.

Cheers ike

cheers ike

Ian Stewart - 2008-07-09 2:32 PM

Albeit a native Keelie, I'm now just South of you in Lanarkshire !

After 20+ years of using M6/M42/M40/ M25 (anti-clockwise), I've used a different route for the last couple of years which was suggested to me by a retired coach driver. So far, it appears to have kept us out of the way of the worst of the traffic snarl-ups in the Midlands.

Take the A74(M) South

Take exit 40 onto A66 towards Penrith/Keswick/Brough

Take A66 towards Scotch Corner/A1(M)

Take the A1 South towards Wetherby

Take exit 44 onto A1 towards M62/The South/Hull

Take exit 35 onto M18 towards M1/M180/Sheffield/S****horpe

Take the M18 ramp towards M1/M'Way

Keep on M1 towards The South/London/Nottingham

Take exit 14 onto A14 towards M11/London (E)/Huntingdon/Cambridge/Stansted

Continue onto M11 towards London

Take exit 6 onto M25 towards M20/M1/Dartford Tnl./Gatwick Airport/Heathrow

Stay on M25 towards M23/M20/Gatwick Airport/Channel Tnl/Dover

Take exit 3 onto A20 towards London (SE & C)/Lewisham

Enter roundabout / take the 5th left onto A20 ramp

Keep on M20 towards Ashford/Channel Tunnel/Dover

Ooops.

Meant to add :

If you want a stopover, there's a site at Worksop which is OK.

Details on request (I have no personal interest in site)

Mel proboly has a view on this, but myself having driven to Hull and back every week for 6 months and regulary using A14, if at all posible steer clear of M1 and A14, at some times they are some of the most busy roads.

Archived