Scottish camping and midges!

Camperdude

Hello

I usually take my summer holiday in my camper touring France.

This year I was thinking of having a change and going to tour the Scottish west coast.

I've noticed that some of the Caravan Club sites in Scotland are already almost full for the months of June and July - I'd be going the last week of June/1st week of July.

I'd like to know if it's necessary to book campsites at that time of year - I'm not too bothered about staying on Caravan Club sites.

Also I understand wild camping in Scotland is not a problem but what about the midges? Some say avoid the west of Scotland in the summer because of the midges, others say don't let them put you off.

I know the weather can't be guaranteed, but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

John B-)

We find the midges in Scotland are vicious. As someone once said to us ,"they come at you with a knife and fork".

Almost impossible in Scotland I know, but try and camp away from water, it may help.

Find a good repellant that you are OK with or, as a last resort, do what the locals do, and cover up.

The warden on one site we were on wore a beekeepers outfit.

We found that burning the candle type in the awning helped and, if you are on mains, a plug in one for inside. Check you are happy with this type, some find the vapour too strong.

Whatever you do, some are going to get you so take a cream or spray to relieve the itching.

Most important don't let it put you off, we think it's well worth it.

The East side appears to have less midges than the West or perhaps they are not as hungry.

We once saw a hoarding in Scotland which said " if they had midges like these in London the Government would have found a cure by now"

The phrase many a true word is spoken in jest comes to mind.?

We never object to rain in Scotland in brings the countryside and hills alive that's why it's so green

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the forum John - and yes midgies are a pain in the proverbial in Scotland from May to October mainly.

This topic has oft been aired and if you try the forum 'search' facility and type in 'midges' or 'midgies' and do a search of 'Motorhome Matters' you should get lots of info to plough through.

Guest Tracker

The weather is generally - but not always - better on the East coast and so too there are a lot LESS midgies - but so too is it a lot less scenically attractive and mountainous than the West coast?

Yer takes yer choice?

• 2 weeks later...
:-D we have just come back from a short break in St.Andrews, why not stay lower down, touring Loch Lomond, Stirling , St. Andrews etc, where you wont be bothered by midges. We stayed on Kilkeny Brae site on the hill, overlooking the sea and St. Andrews, lovely, and they have a very nice and reasonable restuarant. weather lovely.

Guest Tracker
horse444 - 2009-04-22 5:30 PM

:-D we have just come back from a short break in St.Andrews, why not stay lower down, touring Loch Lomond, Stirling , St. Andrews etc, where you wont be bothered by midges. We stayed on Kilkeny Brae site on the hill, overlooking the sea and St. Andrews, lovely, and they have a very nice and reasonable restuarant. weather lovely.

Sorry but come the midgie season the Loch Lommond area will be almost a no go area so thick will the clouds of the little beggars be!

There will be very few anywhere in April unless it has been unseasonably warm as well as moist.

Archived