Site advice please

LORNA

Hi, have been re-directed here from the main forum. We are new to motorhoming (only got our Autosleeper Clubman last week) and want to take it to France for about 3 weeks in July/August (we are teachers and are stuck with these dates!). We want to stay for a while in Normandy and look at gardens (2/3 days), then move down towards Nontron where we have friends, then onto the Western Pyrenees. We don't like big sites and are not fussed about swimming pools or being near the beach. Feeling a bit unsure about aires and their security but maybe we are being way too cautious? Any advice/ recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot, Lorna

Hi Lorna

It's me again!

Just thought I'd reply so you don't feel neglected! Lots of people post on the Motorhome Matters section because that's the one motorhomers seem to look at the most! Occasionally people do comment that the post is in the "wrong" section though.

I usually travel from Poole to Cherbourg through Normandy but recently Brittany Ferries have abandoned the regular ferry from Poole and now the only one from there is the fast ferry.

Like you, I don't worry about campsites near swimming pools/beaches but prefer the smaller quieter sites and also avoid aires mainly because a lot are very crowded especially as you'll be travelling in peak season.

My advice would be to buy the Caravan Club Europe 1 book. It has maps with sites clearly marked and are listed alphabetically by town with reliable comments by Caravan Club members who have stayed on the sites.

I don't tend to stay long in Normandy but there's a small site near Valognes which is convenient for the ferry in Cherbourg. A little further south is another nice site near St Hilaire-du-Harcouet.

Once you get the Caravan Club book you'll be spoilt for choice though!

Hope this helps

Regards

John

We recently moved to the SOuth-East from the far South-west, and therefore now enter France via Dover - Calais/Dunkirk, and last year spent some very enjoyable period visiting Normandy. Northern france at the start and end of our longer holidays over there. We were very pleasantly surprised, and found some very good campsites,and esepcially Aires.

We would tend to avoid those sites with pools etc, and not being family orientated, look only for basic clean facilities plus mains hook=ups.

Whilst we don't usually travel in French peak holidays - though this does seem to be extending somewhat - we never book in advance,and rarely find any problems in getting a pitch.

Certainaly I would recommend the CC Continental Guide, and the Aires guide is always very good, although some of them take a bit of finding! We never use motorway aires, however, just those in towns/villages, which are often adjacent to municpal campsites, and you may well be able to use there facilities at no extra cost! Just you common sence, and intuitionseems totell us whether we feel happy and afe or not at any particular destination.

Thanks for the further boost to confidence - certainly seem to be getting good info for Normandy and, weather permitting, this may be as far as we go! all the best for the next trip and it must be nice to be so near the Channel! Lorna

Archived