Sites and fees

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

With the Feb edition of MMM are two nice books of sites and whilst I don't want to seem picky or ungrateful I did notice a few failings that the publishers might like to consider for 2010?

Best of British 2009 - Handy little book for those who like the 'bells and whistles' approach to sites - fine if you stay put for days at a time - with plenty of info for each site BUT not a GPS coordinate nor a price for any of 'em! No published prices generally means one thing - expensive - so that book went straight in the bin! Some sites, it seems, do special deals but they keep that a secret unless you apply for a 'loyalty card'. Verdict - missed opportunities - could do better!

Escape 2009 - 1300 sites a few of which are sensibly priced but the majority lack a full address but with no location maps and again no GPS coordinates. Handy book for the price (free) but clearly aimed at the pre booker rather than the itinerant wanderer!

Perhaps if a lot more UK site operators joined ACSI or set up a similar UK scheme where one nighters are made a bit more welcome some of us might be more inclined to tour the UK a bit more rather than go abroad?

It does seem to me that the overtly 'towed caravan' and 'tent' longer stay biased sites are perhaps not fully aware of the potential of the 'one nighter' highly mobile Motorhomes, both UK and European to boost their income?

Anyway, thanks MMM for the freebies!

Well I only glanced at them at first, after reading your post had another look.

They all have full postcodes but no 'real' address' so GPS souldn't be too much of a problem but not so good for looking up on a map.

The BoB one's I was put off by number with over 100 pitchs and or statics on site proboly not my type, but a couple of smaller one's might be ok.

The C&CC site list remands the gold standard as far as I'm concerned, but we started of with a similier book to 'escape' and this served us well for many years

• 2 weeks later...
Tracker - 2009-01-22 12:27 PM

Perhaps if a lot more UK site operators joined ACSI

A few years ago there were some (admittedly not a lot) UK sites in the ACSI scheme. I remember, 'cos when we were at the NEC one February and at the ACSI stand, I noticed there were no longer any UK sites listed, when querying this, we were told that the sites had indeed left the scheme, but no reason given.

I seem to remember the sites that were in it, were Caravan Club sites, because I worked out at the time that it was cheaper to go there with an ACSI card than as a member, paying member fees!!

Hi Tracker

We're just back from our Portugal trip, a bit wetter than we'd hoped but great fun none the less.

We stayed at ACSI sites all but two nights, as there were 2 motorhomes, and found them to be great value for money compared to the normal list price.

I would say that the quality did vary from site to site and not all of the higher priced sites were worthy of the higher charge in my opinion.

But all in all a great deal for anyone travelling in Europe and you'll make your money back on the first night for the price of the book with the card included.

Archived