Sites in Italy????

Geof  Angi

Since no-one else has yet suggested it, get yourselves a 2008 copy of the Caravan Club's sites guide, Caravan Europe 2, which covers Italy. 

It is probably the best sites guide there is at present.  It is available to non-members; all entries are submitted by users and not by inspectors; and it includes a very large number of sites.  It is, inevitably, a little biased towards caravanners rather than motorhomers, though it is increasingly catering for motorhomers.  However, in reality, our requirements are very similar.  The the differences only really show when you try to walk to the the shops that are only "5 mins", and find the site entry was from a caravanner, who omitted to mention he meant "5 mins" by car!  Despite this, and a few misunderstood entries relating to "motorhome services" that seem to have been submitted by people with no idea how one services a motorhome, the coverage is excellent and the entries do give a very good impression of what to expect on arrival.

The main thing about campsites in Italy is that they are extremely variable in quality as well as price, but the price is no guide to the quality!  (Sometimes we thought we could even detect an inverse relationship!)  An honestly unbiased guide is, therefore, of great value, and the CC guide is just that.  Buy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just bought the Europe 1 book. Only took about 3 days to arrive. I think updated versions come out each January so I may have a copy that is just out of date but I only paid £8 something (plus £2 pp). I don't think there will be a lot of difference.

Col

• 2 weeks later...

You dont say what route you are using.

I quite like the Italian Lakes with a bit of Switzerland thrown in.

Lake Maggiore ,Cannobio, is well worth a visit there are plenty of sites and an Aire there.

You can use the ferries to visit the various towns on the lake or pop down to Isola Madre and Isola Bella, Bella is the better of the 2 gardens and peace wise.

Have fun

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Have checked out the web site phil, thanks again

Is there anything for Italy like the French Passion sites that we used last year, we tend to go for small sites if we can.

Getting near planning and booking time, we are looking for mid June to mid July any points that we should look out for around this time

Thanks again

Geof

Hi Phil

Been following this thread with interest as we are intending to spend time in Italy this year. Is there a list of Italian Aires in English which, I believe, are called 'aree di sosta' ?

The tip on the Italian Passion sites is great as we love the France Passion!

TTFN

Alan

Hi Alan, can't help about the Italian Aires as I have never stayed on any but I'm sure there must be a list or book available with full details.

I'm off to Italy and Sicily tomorrow for a couple of months. If I see anything on the aree I'll post it when I get back.

Phil.

Archived