Sites in the Dordogne

Kevin  Jane

We're thinking of towing our caravan to the France for the first time next summer and would like to visit the Dordogne region.

We have 2 children, who will be 11 & 6 by then.

Any site recommendations? (or any other tips for towing in France come to think of it)

Thanks

Kevin & Jane - 2011-08-23 9:50 PM

We're thinking of towing our caravan to the France for the first time next summer and would like to visit the Dordogne region.

We have 2 children, who will be 11 & 6 by then.

Any site recommendations? (or any other tips for towing in France come to think of it)

Thanks

Hi Kevin + Jane and welcome to the forum.

Not a lot of people seem to look at this section and I suggest you post it in the Caravan section above, or even the Motorhomes section.

Plenty of people have been down to the Dordogne so I'm sure you have a better chance of some info.

I have been there, but not for some years, so my info would be a bit out of date.

I'm sure you will enjoy the trip - much easier than touring in the U.K.- although as you will be there during school holidays you will probably need to book sites.

If you arrive at sites by about 3pm in France you normally have a good chance of getting in - but for a first trip I would suggest booking.

A good campsite guide is the Alan Rogers guide, which in my experience gives accurate info about sites - good and bad.

The Caravan Club Europe sites book is also a very handy thing to have, with feed back on sites from members who have visited.

Have a good trip

• 1 month later...

A really lovely site with owners to match (English) is Camping L'Etang Bleu, 24340 Vieux Mareuil, sitated between Angouleme and Brantome. Pitches are enormous, very rare for France, outdoor pool and paddling pool. Restaurant, pool bar, and small childrens play area, well away from the areas for touring units. Acres of space for children to ride bikes, a very laid back site, indeed.

Jackie

Gosh...where do you start, there are so many, and i guess often mostly occupied by the brits...which we try to avoid!!!!! Nothing against the Brits but we go fo France for teh French life and culture!!

One way we tend to find sites - and bear in mind,perhaps, that with the Motorhome we look for sites accessible to towns/villages or the like, is to Google the name of the town where we fancy visiting, and search either under camp sites, ot very often Tourist Office websites are full of helpful information, and may help you to choose wher you want to visit.

Archived