You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Sites and places to stay -> Sites Speak
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
South Downs Way & Sites
AuthorMessage
userHerri
Posted: 18 February 2009 11:29 AM
Subject: South Downs Way & Sites

Pops in from time to time

Hi there,
We are hoping to spend a fortnight around the south east doing some walking and exploring. We have a 6m motorhome and are looking for some good sites close to the south downs way.
We dont need WC or showers as we have them ourselves. We do need electric.
We were looking at Brighton, Sheepcote vally, Washington plus few CLs near Petersfield.

Any comments, good, bad or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Herri
userUsinmyknaus
Posted: 18 February 2009 4:19 PM
Subject: RE: South Downs Way & Sites

Epic contributor

Hello Herri.

Sheepcote Valley is a very well equipped CC site and is ideal for walking along the coast West to Brighton and East towards Newhaven. There is an excellent cycleway along the sea front which doubles as a footpath. Access to the Downs is good too. Expect some road noise and noise from the nearby playing fields which are well-used.

There is an award-winning CL at Birch Trees Farm, Ansty near Cuckfield which is worth a visit. (Nice walk across field to the village of Cuckfield.) Not far to the South from there is Bridge Farm House CL near Burgess Hill which has the benefit of a restaurant, Golf Course and Golf Driving range next door.

If you can manage a short time without hook up North Stoke Farm is nicely tucked away near the Amberley chalk pits museum and has great access to the Downs and a lovely walk to the delightful town of Arundel. The Parkland around the castle is very well worth visiting too. There is some rail noise on site but park towards the entrance and it is not too intrusive. Fairly good pub near Amberley station, walking distance of CL.

Goodwood airfield has a very good restaurant at the Aero Club which is open to non-members and on a nice day it is a delight to eat on the terrace overlooking the grass runways with sweeping views to the Downs. There is plenty of customer parking. If you are feeling adventurous arrange a pleasure flight with an instructor and fly round Arundel castle or even the Isle of Wight - especially the lighthouse at St Catherine's Point and the Needles.

The best beach in the area is West Wittering and a walk round East Head (National Trust) is recommended as is Bosham village (pronounced Bosum). There is a commercial car park near West Wittering which is a good size. Wicks Farm campsite is recommended by my fishmonger but I have not been there myself as I use CLs mainly.

Chichester is a delightful city. Go for one of the CLs around Siddlesham and there is a pleasant walk around Pagham Harbour and along the canal into the heart of Chichester.

Have a great trip. If I think of any other sites I'll post again. I have no experience of staying on any sites near Petersfield. No doubt someone will post ideas soon.

Bob.

Edited by Usinmyknaus 2009-02-18 4:49 PM
userUsinmyknaus
Posted: 18 February 2009 5:10 PM

Epic contributor

Herri,

Remembered another CL. We used Choller Farm at Walberton. North to the SD way and South to the coast made two good day's walks.

Bob
userHerri
Posted: 19 February 2009 7:15 AM

Pops in from time to time

Thanks Bob, thats very helpful.

Maybe someone out there has stayed at The Washingtom site.

Herri
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator